4 week olds flying out

raccoon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Cassatt S.C.
My 4 wk olds are jumping and flying out of there run Fence is 5 ft can I clip there flight feathers at this age They are the last 10 corect?

yes they are the very end feathers the ones that are attached to the part of the wing that hinges outwards.

How small of an area are they in ?? Do they have food and water all the time ??

We keep all our poults in a 48" tall fence and hardly ever have a problem getting out unless, they are out of food or water or the door got closed to their shelter and then at night they try and find a place to roost.

ours dont pop out either and i think we have a shorter fence than Harp!

just like Harp, we've noticed that they stay in their pen unless they need something ... or just want to torment the inside cats by coming up and pecking on the glass door (it sends them into fits!).

do they have lots of grass to peck around in?? ours free range and they love it more than bagged feed - maybe make their pen bigger??

good luck!
:)

Yes they have food and water fresh every morning There pen is 38 x 50 FT They dont do this all the time The other morning one flew up on the fence There are 8 of them they have both tall and short grass Eat some but mostly play tag

Back
Top Bottom