40 Minute Hamburger Buns or Rolls

What a great recipe! I used to bake a lot and slowed down when disc issues made standing up and leaning over a thing of the past (I can stand, but better to move around some). This recipe is doable for me! My husband is very picky but when I read him your post (especially the lying on the floor part, lol) and he approved of the picture, so I'll be making some right away. I'm thinking of baking them at 400 though and a few minutes longer, as he likes his rolls very light. (The things we do for love! ha!)

Also, I did try your link to look at your coop again, and the pictures were gone for some reason. If you were up to posting those again, I'd love to see them. I remember looking at them--could have been last year even, and since we are about to be a little cooler out here (we hope), we are getting ready to try again to upgrade our coop, such as it is.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll post pictures of mine with the changed temp and time, if they turn out.
lol.png

Quote:
I look forward to seeing your rolls. I plan to put the pictures back soon, thanks for asking.

I knew someone who used a baking a cake with substitutions analogy to explain why people who substituted stuff for AA steps didn't think the program worked. Well, here's mine, about these rolls. I tested my yeast, which I have had frozen for ten years, and it did proof, so I know that was OK. I actually didn't use a machine to mix or knead, but used a really big whisk to mix together my blooming yeast into the already mixed egg, oil and salt. I had put the sugar into the yeast to help it along. Then I added enough flour a little at a time until the dough felt right, and I kneaded it by hand in the same bowl. Did I mention I set the oven to 450? I did. And 40 minutes later, when the rolls were ready to go, it was still trying to get there.... it was at 345. I noticed the bottom heater wasn't on. Oh, and one other thing, I didn't measure anything but the water, everything else was by eye or feel.

So we haven't tasted them yet, but they didn't rise quite enough. Oh, and while I waited not so patiently for the oven to warm up, I put the rolls into the fridge (it was either that or the flies would get on them, or the insecticide would get on them when I tried to get after the flies). So they went into an oven that wasn't quite warm enough, the rolls were nicely chilled rather than at room temperature like they should have been.

The good news is, they aren't hard enough to break a tooth. We have not tried them yet but I am about to go be the guinea pig now.

I guess with all the quasi substitutions and the berzerk oven, I'm lucky they didn't turn into something totally unexpected.

And if they turn out halfway decent, I have to give total credit to the recipe.....
tongue.png

I have made these twice so far. The first time I used 1/4 cup of sugar as called for and they were too sweet for me. The second time I cut the sugar in half and they were perfect! Thank you for sharing.

Okay I made this yesterday and they turned out okay. They didnt rise like they were suppose to. I checked and everything was still good as far as dates go. So I wonder what I did wrong. When you say to cover it. Does that mean with plastic wrap or a towel? I didnt know and used a towel. This is only my second time at baking bread so Im not sure what went wrong.
idunno.gif

Thanks for sharing, those look awesome!!
droolin.gif
I was going to make burgers tomorrow anyway so I will definitely try this recipe.

I just got mine out of the oven and they look tasty. I added sesame seeds to half and onion flakes and garlic powder to the other half. I will serve them in the morning as egg and cheese sandwiches. They did not rise too much, but it has been raining here for 24 hours straight, so it is damp and cooler than usual, but they look perfect for breakfast sandwiches. I also divided them into 16 rolls . . .4 kids!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeast is a funny critter....It can still be "alive" but just not at full strength. As yeast ages some of the weaker critters will die off as the stronger will survive. When you use this aging yeast it will still proof but it's not going to grow at the same rate it would have if all the little critters were still active. In a case were you have some activity but it's not rising as quickly as it should then you just need to wait a little longer than you normally would to give the surviving yeast time to reproduce. Basically your recipe is going to preform as though you used less yeast than the recipe called for.

Back
Top Bottom