1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by mrheinz77, Nov 4, 2012.

1. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    Is that bags of water in there?

2. mrspabody

mrspabody Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Whatcom County, WA
    P.S. I meant to add that those bags of water in the photo help regulate my incubator temp - it works better when it's full, and I don't need to set THAT MANY duck eggs! ;)

3. Anyone else's muscovies stop laying completely during winter??

4. mrspabody

mrspabody Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Whatcom County, WA
    The local lady who sold me the Muscovy eggs I'm incubating for this hatch-a-long said that hers were slowing but going strong. However several friends of hers had ducks that stopped. Have yours stopped?

5. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    My chickens are going for a new world record strike, hahaha. It's now been over 6 weeks since I've seen an egg. Normally with 18 laying hens, I get an egg every to every other day during winter months, but this winter, absolutely nothing.

I'm so incredibly excited for this hatch along. It's all thats on my mind, and I end up checking for updates hourly! I can't wait until Tuesday! [​IMG]

6. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Goodness this thread has been going at top speed! I read back a ways, but have nothing to add, so I guess I'll get me to bed so I can build another dozen coops for all these birds I'm about to hatch, ROFL.

Good nite all!

7. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    I should mention that I am going to be setting Seramas, all eggs collected froim my own little nearly 6 month old pullets. I'm super excited to see what my pairs can produce, so having them for NYD will be even more fun!

8. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

And losing a bird or two that can't handle the change very well, older birds, young ones, those still molting. This year we are having a "warming station" for the birds.

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay everyone, I know I should ask this in the Emergency thread, but it takes forever to get answer. When I went out this morning to let everyone out of the coop and feed. I noticed a lot of blood on the ground. (don't know if it was there last night, old man locked up birds and he just isn't observant, I checked every hen out there, especially the ones right over it, no one had blood on them. I thought well maybe they killed a mouse, well while feeding I noticed blood again on the ground. NO ONE acts like they could have lost that much blood without dying. So what could it be and how can I find out who it is, if all are acting normal and upon physical inspection of all birds no blood was seen. What could it be?

10. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    That is odd. Bleeding from the vent is the only place I can think of that wouldn't be obvious, but with a large blood loss you'd expect the bird to be weak and obviously unwell. I guess just keep checking them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by