4wk Barred Rock Pullet - Labored Breathing, Lethargic - Pics Post #6

To be honest, I don't know who is the closest - or if we even have one "locally".

What I don't understand is that out of the other 37 chicks, they have ALL been with this one BR since she came home 4 weeks ago as a day old chick - from a hatchery. There hasn't been a chick on this farm in over 20yrs, so unless there is some crazy resilient disease or bug that can live so long with no host, I don't think she picked it up here. How is it that only she is 'sick' and has never be exposed to anything differently than those 37? They have all been in the house or on the enclosed porch. I have 9 others that came from Agway with her and they are healthy, too.

The BLHs are in the coop - they are not part of this confusion with the BR. They have never been in contact with the BR.

could be that she is just not strong or has a malformation inside...natural selection usually takes care of this.
Diseases can be dropped by birds flying overhead and rodents running across the ground...the coon that walks through at night etc....they also can be on your boots.
If you go to the feed store, you are parking in a lot where farm vehicles with tires covered with germs from other farms, then your boots walk in the store...unless you completely disinfect yourself every time you enter, you cant be sure...and its best not to beat yourself up. Youve done well with most of them and usually in that amount you're bound to lose a few.
This is natural selection.
as I said, I give medicated feed to prevent the things most likely....and come of those things are present anyway, like cocci...I also vaccinate against mareks and whatever else is offered or that I can at home if Im hatching.

If she seems to have an upper respiratory thing, then contact your extension vet (look at the stickys at the top of these forums on how to do that) and figure out how to send her for testing. In CT they come and get them for free and test them. But of course, theyt have to kill them to do that. But CRD is very serious...if yoususpect it I would look up Denaguard and read about it...it can be a preventative too...I would make use of it. This stuff comes from birds flying overhead and you can lose your entire flock.

good luck with her.

Back
Top Bottom