4x8 Chicken Coop Help

robtiide

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2021
Columbus Ohio
Hi Yall,

My girlfriend and I are building the following Coop. We found the plans at https://www.construct101.com/4x8-chicken-coop-plans/

We've pretty much finished all the framing and while we've been building we've come up with some questions and we were hoping you could help.

- Being that this is our first time raising chickens/building a coop what are ya'lls thoughts.
- How would we do the roosting bars?
- Do we need to make any changes to the plans for ventilation or otherwise??

Would love all the feedback we could get before we hit the point of no return in the build process.

Ive tried to find pictures of other coops that people have built using the plans but I havent found a single one (except the one attached) and that kinda concerns me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-19 091231.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-19 091231.png
    744.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
With those overhangs I would frame out about 1.5 sq ft in each gable peak and install 1/2" hardware cloth over the openings for more ventilation.
I also would not notch the siding under the rafter tails but would cut it flush with the bottom of the tails and install 1/2" HC for ventilation between the rafters.
I'd run the roost bar down the center running parallel to the 8 ft walls. Make it about 14" off the floor.
How many birds are you planning on getting? How large a run are you building?

Last edited:
Sorry I didnt realize it posted my draft. I edited the post with the questions
Hi,
With this design, you will want to have one roost inside the enclosed area that is a bit higher than the nest boxes. Maybe 16" away from the back wall. Keep in mind the higher up the roost, the more landing area the girls will need to get off the roosts. It sure does look like you need more ventilation. The inside Center wall has some element protection. Maybe that is an area. You might also add soffit vents and/or a ridge vent in the roof.

So, having said that and given that you have started framing. Here are a few suggestions.
  1. Tell us your general location. We are SE Mass. You can locate that in your profile. This will help with suggestions.
  2. Your coop is basically 4x4. That is "enough" space for 4 full size hens.
    Your run is about 4x8, which is enough for 3 full size hens. Please tell us a bit more about your chicken keeping plans.
    I would consider framing the 2nd floor to be the full 4x8'. Then extend the roof and build an additional covered run. Where you attach the covered run could allow you to open up ventilation options.
I hope some of this helps.

I would leave out the dividing wall in the center. Or make the half opposite the nests boxes open.

It seems to be missing a ramp down to the run. You might rethink having the run 2 and a half feet high... hard to clean, hard to reach a chicken if you needed to, or eggs (might be more likely to lay outside since it is pretty sheltered feeling). Just a little higher and someone could at least crawl under it fairly easily (space-wise, it could be a bit messy). And it would be high enough to fit a wheel barrow under the cleanout door to scrape straight into it... if the door or side of the coop opens up for that.which reminds me... are you planning to put bedding in the coop? Then you would want clearance for it in front of the nest boxes and doors.

You might change the nest box opening to the back instead of the top because it is easier to keep water out of the nest boxes but you have enough overhang that it might be okay anyway.

The roosts usually go on brackets attached to the wall or rest on a piece of 2x4 (or 2x2 or 1x4 for a small coop, maybe) that is either attached to two studs or supported on a pair of 2x4's inside the studs. You basically have a 4x4 space for roosts... that would be really tight to get two roosts into (unless you are getting bantams), so 4' of roost space... enough for 3 chickens, maybe 4. The rule of thumb is 1 foot per bird but the rule of thumb works better with more birds.

I am new to this as well. others have given great advice about where to put ventilation. I would add on a run to this and basically use the whole floor as a coop to give you the full 4x8. I will post the plans I was looking at for a 4x8 coop when that was the size I was doing. It is still raised so you can put HW cloth around the bottom and attach a run so they come out a door to the run not down through the coop. https://myoutdoorplans.com/animals/4x8-backyard-chicken-coop-plans/

The one you posted has a much better roof for ventilation than this one (which we were going to have to modify for ventilation up there. I agree with doing ventilation in the gables.

Good luck with your build!

I am new to this as well. others have given great advice about where to put ventilation. I would add on a run to this and basically use the whole floor as a coop to give you the full 4x8. I will post the plans I was looking at for a 4x8 coop when that was the size I was doing. It is still raised so you can put HW cloth around the bottom and attach a run so they come out a door to the run not down through the coop. https://myoutdoorplans.com/animals/4x8-backyard-chicken-coop-plans/

The one you posted has a much better roof for ventilation than this one (which we were going to have to modify for ventilation up there. I agree with doing ventilation in the gables.

Good luck with your build!

With those overhangs I would frame out about 1.5 sq ft in each gable peak and install 1/2" hardware cloth over the openings for more ventilation.
I also would not notch the siding under the rafter tails but would cut it flush with the bottom of the tails and install 1/2" HC for ventilation between the rafters.
I'd run the roost bar down the center running parallel to the 8 ft walls. Make it about 14" off the floor.
How many birds are you planning on getting? How large a run are you building?
Thanks for your help. For the plans I’m either going to:
  1. I’m gonna mod the existing frame for the coop but incorporate the following roof/run.

https://www.construct101.com/8x10-chicken-coop-plans/
  2. I’m gonna finish the original build with roof and connect the coop to the run or build the run into the coop design

https://www.construct101.com/chicken-coop-run-plans/
Which would you recommend or would you recommend something else?

We have 3 Americana’s and 3 Golden Laced Wyandot Chickens.

We are located in Columbus Ohio

I would leave out the dividing wall in the center. Or make the half opposite the nests boxes open.

It seems to be missing a ramp down to the run. You might rethink having the run 2 and a half feet high... hard to clean, hard to reach a chicken if you needed to, or eggs (might be more likely to lay outside since it is pretty sheltered feeling). Just a little higher and someone could at least crawl under it fairly easily (space-wise, it could be a bit messy). And it would be high enough to fit a wheel barrow under the cleanout door to scrape straight into it... if the door or side of the coop opens up for that.which reminds me... are you planning to put bedding in the coop? Then you would want clearance for it in front of the nest boxes and doors.

You might change the nest box opening to the back instead of the top because it is easier to keep water out of the nest boxes but you have enough overhang that it might be okay anyway.

The roosts usually go on brackets attached to the wall or rest on a piece of 2x4 (or 2x2 or 1x4 for a small coop, maybe) that is either attached to two studs or supported on a pair of 2x4's inside the studs. You basically have a 4x4 space for roosts... that would be really tight to get two roosts into (unless you are getting bantams), so 4' of roost space... enough for 3 chickens, maybe 4. The rule of thumb is 1 foot per bird but the rule of thumb works better with more birds.
Thanks for your help. For the plans I’m either going to:
  1. I’m gonna mod the existing frame for the coop but incorporate the following roof/run.

https://www.construct101.com/8x10-chicken-coop-plans/
  2. I’m gonna finish the original build with roof and connect the coop to the run or build the run into the coop design

https://www.construct101.com/chicken-coop-run-plans/
Which would you recommend or would you recommend something else?

We have 3 Americana’s and 3 Golden Laced Wyandot Chickens.

We are located in Columbus Ohio

Back
Top Bottom