5 day old chick injured leg . . . advice please

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
AND I DID IT!
Oh my gosh do I feel terrrible right now.
I have 21 5 day old babies in house brooder. The Buckeyes are wild little things and love interaction with me, they also start trying to fly (hop/fall) at about two days. I was playing their favorite game with them letting them hop into my hand then raising it about 8 inches from the floor and watching them "fly" back down to the others . . . they love it and line up for their "turn".
But last night one landed wrong and hurt her little leg. She is walking with it sticking out and to the front and it obviously is hurting her. I don't feel anything broken and I think maybe it is dislocated but I don't know what to do.
Any advice???? Do you think it could heal? I don't want her to be in pain but I don't want to cull a healthy chick if there is a chance of recovery. I feel so terrible any thougts would be appreciated.

I have splinted a chick's leg before with pretty good success. I used a chopstick with some cotton on the end that would be touching her body and taped a band aid to the chop stick and to the other leg. I had to separate the chick from the others until it could stand on its own.

WOW that was a bit harsh PresidentBradyRedux and nice usage of the Lord's name!! We are supposed to be helping not just being blatantly harsh! I think the OP knows that is an option.

I have had a female duck that made a full recovery. She tried keeping up with the rest for about a month and it just got too much for her and brooded. Took about 3 weeks of bedrest. I could not get her to stop thrashing in a cage so figured it was up to her.
Chickens handle cages better. It is not likely but there is a chance it will get better.

Quote:
Shoot it and get another chicken. Jesus Christ

ouch! lol . . . somebody is a grumpy bunny this morning! Sorry to hear about the fox in your hen house. Appreciate your fatalistic advice . . . think I will try the splint instead. Hope your day gets better.

Quote:
I'm going to seperate her with one other chick for company (a calm EE same age) and try the splint idea.
Ok . . . sooo . . . do you think I should splint it up, in, straight? She is holding it out and forward but allows me to bend it for her.

Quote:
You're right. I'm sorry. A fox got ten of my chicks last night and I'm a little testy.

I am sorry for you and your chickies....I know how you feel coons got like 20 of my chicks over a 3 day period...we just noticed one was gone then another then the whole dern brood....

Trap that bugger and dispose. We killed 14 raccoons after we figured it out and trapped them. URGH!!!

Back
Top Bottom