5 day old chick, pecked down to skull

kukupecpec

Songster
10 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Tucson AZ
I've got a brooder with mixed ages and one of my older chicks - 5 week old serama roo - got really aggressive with one of the 5 day old babies. They are the same size, and every once in a while he looked like he was trying to mount one of the babies but hadn't hurt anyone.
Came home to a chick with his head pecked pretty bad. Most of the scalp has been taken off and the skull is exposed, didn't get through the bone though. Washed it out good, gave the chick water, and some mashed food.
He won't open his eyes. I don't know if this is really bad or not. He peeps and was walking around and napping just like everyone else for a while but now he cant seem to keep him balance. He just sits and kind of "pops" like he's startled every once in a while, but if you try to stand him up (he won't do it on his own) he gets really tall and rolls backwards pushing his feet out in front of him. He won't hold anything with his feet, they aren't limp, just super straight out toes and no movement. He's opening and closing his mouth slowly and consistently with no noise, until he "pops" and then peeps a few times then relaxes and goes back to opening and closing.

Is there anything I should be doing? Or is he dying and I should just put him out of his misery?

He's still alive, breathing and napping mostly, but he gets up every once in a while and stumbles to a new place to nap. Does anyone have any idea how to help him? Or if i even can?

Last edited:
I think you should take all the young chicks out of there! they shouldnt be with older chicks. It sounds like it could possibly have brain swelling,But im not a vet. Make sure the area stays clean and maybe put a bandage on it. I wish i knew what to do..or atleast some one with more experience would answer your post!

It's ok. He just died. Started spasming and blowing bubbles and then he was gone. I'm just glad he's not in pain or misery anymore.

Sorry if it was me I would let the birdie go to birdie heaven it souds like he has some serious problems. Put osyster shell in with your chicks very fine

So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Do you have red lights in with your chicks? Once I put red light bulbs in with my chicks they stopped pecking each other. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom