5 mth old pullet laid just the yolk, should I start on antibiotic?

Ciqala

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
New Hampshire
Two days ago I noticed one of my 5 mth old red sex-linked pullets looking off, so I brought her in for the night. Wasn't straining to poop, but not pooping regularly enough IMO and when she did it was very firm. Gave her some olive oil and also felt for an egg, but didn't feel anything {admittedly not sure I was doing it right}. So yesterday put her back out with the flock 'cuz she was alert, eating, drinking, etc although she didn't lay an egg.

Mid and late afternoon she started with the hiding from the rest and looking off, so I brought her in again and again gave her more oil. This morning when I let her out of the crate, I noticed a huge normal looking poop and just the yolk of an egg. No soft shell, although I can't be certain she didn't eat it if it was there - none of my hens are egg eaters unless it's a soft shell, which I've rarely had happen.

Should I start her on an antibiotic to play it safe in case that egg did break inside her? My flock does have free access to oyster shells and are on a layer feed, any other ideas of ways to get more calcium into her? This morning she's active, eating and drinking albeit unhappy at being inside.

Two days ago I noticed one of my 5 mth old red sex-linked pullets looking off, so I brought her in for the night. Wasn't straining to poop, but not pooping regularly enough IMO and when she did it was very firm. Gave her some olive oil and also felt for an egg, but didn't feel anything {admittedly not sure I was doing it right}. So yesterday put her back out with the flock 'cuz she was alert, eating, drinking, etc although she didn't lay an egg.

Mid and late afternoon she started with the hiding from the rest and looking off, so I brought her in again and again gave her more oil. This morning when I let her out of the crate, I noticed a huge normal looking poop and just the yolk of an egg. No soft shell, although I can't be certain she didn't eat it if it was there - none of my hens are egg eaters unless it's a soft shell, which I've rarely had happen.

Should I start her on an antibiotic to play it safe in case that egg did break inside her? My flock does have free access to oyster shells and are on a layer feed, any other ideas of ways to get more calcium into her? This morning she's active, eating and drinking albeit unhappy at being inside.

When mine are having similar issues I get them hydrated, give calcium orally at 100mg per 2.2 pounds of body weight and place them in my bathroom full of steam. That combo will help them expel any remaining egg(s).

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy. What's a good oral calcium to use? My bathroom is so tiny, would a heating pad work just as well?
I have used one from Walmart, but some people use tums. Tiny bathroom is fine if you can fill it with steam. Heating pads are also used, but I have found the steam method to be very effective and it's so much safer than bathing. This is the calcium I use:

I have given up to 1/2 tab to 1 pound bantams and whole tabs to regular sized hens, but my vet told me the recommended dose is 100mg per 2.2 pounds, so that's where that info comes from.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks again Kathy, I appreciate your help. I have Tums on hand, so I crushed one up and put it in her food. I also ran out and picked her up some yogurt.

Thanks again Kathy, I appreciate your help. I have Tums on hand, so I crushed one up and put it in her food. I also ran out and picked her up some yogurt.
You can also break the tums into small pieces and give them orally. The experiments I have done have shown that the calcium will begin to work in less than two hours when given orally. Crushed, mixed with water and given orally it works even faster.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom