50 Birds murdered and not eaten(Graphic Pics) Caught me a killer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a raccoon or likely, a family of raccoons. They have dexterous hands, and they tear at the fence like that. Raccoons are also very, very strong.

A dog, coyote and fisher cat can't "peal" at the fence like that.

My chickens have been killed by fisher cats (dig under); raccoons (tearing at chicken wire or mesh). We saw a group of 3 coons attack once; but scared them off with with sound. They always come back though, if its only sound. They need to feel some "hurt," if you know what I mean.

Sorry about your lost. I plan to post the pics of predator attacks on my home-made chicken coop at some point. I learned that hardware cloth 1/2 inch is the way to go. Hardware store bought "chicken wire" is too fragile.

Sorry about your loss. Good luck in coop recontruct!

FYI there are are dogs in my neighborhood that can easily jump a 6 foot fence. It could be dogs, coons or weasels. Whatever it is, it will be back. Be waiting for it with a gun in your hands.

Sounds like a Red or Grey Fox. They leave a distinct musk sent. I have Trapped and caught many in the act of killing chickens. Like the old saying "Like a Fox in a hen house". They will kill everything moving or running and then just grab one or two and take them away to eat. At this time of the year I have seen Mothers with up to 3 young almost full grown pups and all trying to kill. I have had Red Foxes chew thru standard metal chiicken wire.
They can go thru a very small hole, and very smart.
I have never lost a bird that is protected by electric fence.
Put a single wire about 8-10 inches above ground around the pen.
All preditors can smell the electric, they will not mess with it.
You can use one of the dead birds as bait to set a large live trap or hang from a tree about 24" up and have a rifle ready.

Sorry about your loss

Hear is a picture that shows the electric wire around one of my pens. You can get a solar fence charger if you don't have electric ran to the pen.

4969_coop.jpg

Last edited:
If none had been eaten on, more likely dog if just small parts missing coons. Not sure on bobcat never seen their kills.

NO tracks?? odd 50 killed at one time family of coons. Could kill alot maybe mother and 4 or 5 of her half grown young. They dont kill without eaten.

Yes it will be back for sure my guess TONIGHT.

I would say raccoon as well. Maybe a young one, or even twins or triplets that just headed off on their own.

I lost 25 chickens at almost laying age to a young raccoon. He was still in the coop! He hadn't chowed down on them, just killed them all. Terrible! I feel for you and hope you catch those buggers!!!

My first thought was something in the weasel family, since they are infamous for this type of needless destruction. Although, a weasel would't have chewed through that torso, they tend to stick to their necks. Also a weasel wouldn't have needed to tear that hole in the avian netting, it could have gone through the dog wire since they are so small and maleable, they would just squeeze right in. This could still be the case and the hole in the netting a coincident.

The hole in the netting appears to be something a raccoon would do, but I've never heard of even a family of coons killing this many birds at one time.

Could have been a dog, but there would have to be another way in, digging under or chewing through at head height. A dog would not have climbed 6 feet and then chewed through the netting.

I believe it is a family of weasels or an extraordinary family of coons.

Back in Oct--I lost 5 in one night under very similar circumstances so I built a new run, fenced everything in and covered everything with netting. We were good until about 3 nights ago when something got a pair of roosting Turkey Poults--they were on the outside of the netting where I couldn't reach them. Since it was only feathers--I thought Owl or Hawk,

Back in the fall--I saw whatever it was--it was cat shaped with raccoon ears and it was making the weirdest noise.--I do not think it was a raccoon though--when I looked for descriptions--it more resembled a weasel--whatever that is--to this day--I am not sure I know what a weasel is...It is also very smart--did not take the bait in traps or poisoned. I couldn't catch it--so I tried the defensive route. So now its figured out how to get in--so unless I kill it--I am screwed. It will definitely be back. For tonight--the dogs will stay out...until I can figure out how to safely use the rifle...

Ellie-OMG
I am so sorry and horrified that this has happened to you. Please let me know if I can do anything for after you get this thing or a posse in the meantime. It looks like it will be back knowing where a food source is.
I know you will be ready.

Our neighbors have a white fox in a cage and when I am working in the garden, there is a skunk odor. Could it have been a few foxes? That sounds like an awful lot of killing for just one predator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom