50 Pictures of my Flock-Winter-Spring Edition!

I think they'd be the perfect breed for people who would get in trouble for having chickens. Seriously! They never sing that loud egg song, so you never have to worry about neighbors reporting you. 

:thumbsup Mine hardly make a sound at all unless they feel like they've been wronged. ("Oh, no, you're not picking me up right!" "That was my nest box! I saw it first!" "Ow! Ow! She pecked me!" ) :lol:

thumbsup.gif
Mine hardly make a sound at all unless they feel like they've been wronged. ("Oh, no, you're not picking me up right!" "That was my nest box! I saw it first!" "Ow! Ow! She pecked me!" )
lol.png
lau.gif

[FONT=arial, helvetica]I have needed to get some pictures put up, but just haven't been motivated... until today! I decided to let them out to free-range today. Their run is scratched down to dirt, and after the rain, it was muddy: not a very delightful place to be![/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]So, upon letting them out, I decided to get a picture of my changed theme, [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]2. what hens do in the yard
[/FONT]

...The door opens and some of them wait at the door, cautious...

...after a while, they come out, and start hunting crickets...

...hee hee! Fuzzy butts... they eat the scratch thrown to them...

...ahhhh... just soaking up some warm sunshine...

...just a happy hen on a pleasant day in February...

On this pleasant day, I am happy to say...

I got a picture of 34. a rooster

...I am so glad he's finally trusting me again... I thought he never would...

Brewster The Rooster, Glossy Feather Extraordinaire, is my dear sweet boy. He has a long story. He was originally a rooster that belonged to the neighbors, whom got him from a feed store. They thought he was a hen, but upon learning that he was a rooster, they told me they didn't want him. I asked what would happen to him, and they said they were gonna butcher him up for the dogs. He was such a sweet boy, I was horrified at this. I, of course, took him in. I handled him, fed him, and spent lots of time with him. He was originally the lowest rooster on the totem pole, afraid of the top rooster, Rocky, a banty rooster.

When Rocky got killed, Brewster rose in the pecking order, and became the top rooster. He started crowing, and grew and grew and grew.

One day, the neighbor's rooster came over, started a fight, and nearly killed Brewster. I got between them, and kicked off the other rooster. Brewster started spurring me, and, in an attempt to scare him away, I threw a plastic feed scoop at him. This hit him in the head, and he instantly fell over, seemingly unconscious.

He was okay, but to this day, he is still somewhat skittish of me, though today he was more confident, sitting pretty close to me.

Maybe he was feeling happy today (
tongue.png
) because he was crowing up a storm, right near me, which means I finally got a picture of *drumroll*...

24. a crow of victory

...he usually doesn't crow around me... Isn't he gorgeous?
love.gif

I tell you, Dad's loving how I'm using the $700 camera he gave me for Xmas. Thank you, Dad. It was a perfect gift!

That's all for today, peeps. (maybe) Stay tuned for more gorgeous pics of my chickens!

Last edited:
:thumbsup

Is that a Polish in that first picture? Have you ever had problems with the other hens pecking her crest? I love Polish and so want some, but I'm afraid they'll be picked on by my other hens.

Love the sunbathing pics! I let my girls free-range today, too, and they were doing that all over the place! Like a battlefield with a bunch of bodies strewn about! :lol: I guess sunbathing in the chicken yard just isn't the same. :confused:

thumbsup.gif

Is that a Polish in that first picture? Have you ever had problems with the other hens pecking her crest? I love Polish and so want some, but I'm afraid they'll be picked on by my other hens.

Love the sunbathing pics! I let my girls free-range today, too, and they were doing that all over the place! Like a battlefield with a bunch of bodies strewn about!
lol.png
I guess sunbathing in the chicken yard just isn't the same.
hu.gif
That is a Polish in the front. We've had Polish for years, and we've never had a problem with Polish getting pecked.

I liked the sunbathing pics, too. They were cute! She was pretty happy. After she started sunbathing, they all seemed to kinda drop like flies. XD

That is a Polish in the front. We've had Polish for years, and we've never had a problem with Polish getting pecked.

Aw, I'm so tempted..! I keep doing research and feeling like it's not a good idea, and then I see pictures of them and I just want them sooo badly! :barnie

I liked the sunbathing pics, too. They were cute! She was pretty happy. After she started sunbathing, they all seemed to kinda drop like flies. XD 

:lol: The wording is perfect there! And then they lay around and when you laugh at them, they look at you like, "What?" :rolleyes: Silly hens!

You have such pretty chickens!!! And I LOVE Brewster! I would love to have a rooster but my mom said no.
sad.png
He would just be eating up feed cause we dont have room for a lot of chickens so we wouldnt really use him for breeding. Anyway he is soooo pretty!!!
smile.png

Aw, I'm so tempted..! I keep doing research and feeling like it's not a good idea, and then I see pictures of them and I just want them sooo badly!
barnie.gif

lol.png
The wording is perfect there! And then they lay around and when you laugh at them, they look at you like, "What?"
roll.png
Silly hens!
I don't think I've ever had a problem with my Polish, except for her getting scared by her own crest hanging in front of her face.
roll.png

Haha. They do just lay around. XD

Back
Top Bottom