5wk old Silkie chick abcess

kaleighmarie1213

Songster
Oct 17, 2021
My daughters silkie named Raven is not acting normal.

Here is all I know... she is 5 weeks old, none of the others are affected as far as I can tell. She is a silkie/frizzle mix I hatched from an online order. They've been kept indoors and food/water cleaned nearly daily. Held often and quite social. Medicated feed.

Our black lab did nip at her on Wednesday but she was being held by me when it happened and we are sure no blood was drawn and she acted fine after. She DID gag/vomit when it happened but I assumed she had a full belly and just got scared?

She's hunched over and has a big soft fluid ballon/access on her breast and neck area. It could always feel her full crop but this is off to the side more. It's losing feathers on that side too. She seems to be gasping or labored breathing but can still squawk and walk but slowly.

Anything I can do for her? I am already preparing myself to explain to loss to my daughter. She will be devastated but it's a part of life, which she is well aware things die. I just want to save Raven if we can.

I have a video of her and some photos. One of her alone and then compared to her flock. She does have her head raised in the back right of the last one. She is the only one all black and black beak.

Last edited:
Some photos

Attachments

• 20220101_150541.jpg
    20220101_150541.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_150537.jpg
    20220101_150537.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_150532.jpg
    20220101_150532.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_150512.jpg
    20220101_150512.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_150458.jpg
    20220101_150458.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_150523.jpg
    20220101_150523.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 2
Upon massage and inspection I think it might be the whole crop is swollen! My feed stores are closed today for the holiday but what can I do for her tonight and what can I purchase tomorrow? Is it because she ate something too big like her bedding? Is it infection? Is she going to make it?

She seems to like it massaged and will lay in my hand and want me to rub it. She does the gasping motion every so often.

Attachments

• 20220101_160650.jpg
    20220101_160650.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220101_160726.jpg
    20220101_160726.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 3
I was able to push a little harder and massage her to vomit. She got a TON out. And now I've isolated her with just water. It didn't smell spur at all. But oh my goodness it was SO MUCH food/vomit. All chick grit color. Nothing different than fresh food.

See if her crop empties completely in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

The gasping is a bit concerning, it may be due to the crop not emptying, but you mentioned the dog nipped her and she gagged after that.
Feel carefully - is there air under the skin or does it feel like food/water?

See if her crop empties completely in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

The gasping is a bit concerning, it may be due to the crop not emptying, but you mentioned the dog nipped her and she gagged after that.
Feel carefully - is there air under the skin or does it feel like food/water?
It's not empty this morning. It's MUCH smaller. But still very much there. It feels slightly firm but also liquidy. Like if you put cornstarch and water in a balloon. If I move it around gently in one spot or the next it has a lot of give. If I just feel the whole breast it feels full.

She is moving more today and pooped a lot in her box last night (I had isolated her to check if she was pooping and keep her from eating.)

She was quite depressed this morning so I removed the feeder from the whole brooder box and let her in with her flock mates for a little bit. She perked up a lot being around them.

Should I take her back out so I can put the feeder back in? It's been about 15 min as of now but they're all getting squawky and angry their food is gone. 🤷‍♀️🤣

I have a video and a picture of her poos overnight. Before I went to bed it was just the firm dry nuggets in the corner. But this morning they're leaving wet marks too which I think is positive? Maybe she got dehydrated and just constipated? Ugh this girl is stressing me out. My daughter comes home from her dads I'm about 6hrs so I'm hopeful I'll have a positive prognosis for Raven by then. 🥴🤞

Attachments

• 20220102_092516.jpg
    20220102_092516.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 2
I was able to push a little harder and massage her to vomit. She got a TON out. And now I've isolated her with just water. It didn't smell spur at all. But oh my goodness it was SO MUCH food/vomit. All chick grit color. Nothing different than fresh food.
Tip: Never make a chicken vomit. They may aspirate their crop contents, & die.

Tip: Never make a chicken vomit. They may aspirate their crop contents, & die.
I do appreciate that tip... I'm new to chickens so I'm always weighing advice and trial and error with caution.

It's like medical advice and parenting advice, you take it all in and use what works but always keep the rest at the back of your mind.

I've read about 50 articles since yesterday. Half say do when needed and half say never for that reason. I've learned lots about sour crop, impacted crop, constipation, and needing grit... but still unsure what I'm dealing with so I try to be open to all ideas of solutions.

She was gasping for air and wouldn't move much before I got some out. She seemed so much more comfortable and wasn't hardly gasping at all after. So I have to feel a little confident in my decision. But it was scary and I was terrified of doing it because of that risk of aspiration. But I tilted her head down toward the floor and only did it about 5-7 seconds and she vomit it up. I promptly stopped and lifted her upright to breathe. She shook her head quickly and started squawking at me like "hey what the hell?".

Idk if it was pushing on her respiratory system or she was just so in pain before but she is moving and breathing fine this morning. Just has the mass in her crop still.

I do appreciate that tip... I'm new to chickens so I'm always weighing advice and trial and error with caution.

It's like medical advice and parenting advice, you take it all in and use what works but always keep the rest at the back of your mind.

I've read about 50 articles since yesterday. Half say do when needed and half say never for that reason. I've learned lots about sour crop, impacted crop, constipation, and needing grit... but still unsure what I'm dealing with so I try to be open to all ideas of solutions.

She was gasping for air and wouldn't move much before I got some out. She seemed so much more comfortable and wasn't hardly gasping at all after. So I have to feel a little confident in my decision. But it was scary and I was terrified of doing it because of that risk of aspiration. But I tilted her head down toward the floor and only did it about 5-7 seconds and she vomit it up. I promptly stopped and lifted her upright to breathe. She shook her head quickly and started squawking at me like "hey what the hell?".

Idk if it was pushing on her respiratory system or she was just so in pain before but she is moving and breathing fine this morning. Just has the mass in her crop still.
Yeah, never follow the Vomit a chicken advice. It's not necessary.

Gasping can be caused by stress, respiratory problems, gapeworms, & choking.

What do you feed, including treats?

Coconut oil will slicken the crop, & intestines to let things move smoothly. Grit can be offered to help break up the blockage.

Crop massage in a downward angle in a circular motion to push food through the food tube, & to clear the blockage.

Back
Top Bottom