6 black silkie bantams 8weeks old...in NZ

celiacantdecide

Hatching
Aug 15, 2015
New Zealand
Hi there everyone, I'm new to raising and keeping chickens. Got our 6 at 10days old. Doing well, have been put in their coop for around 5days now. Having trouble with getting them to go upstairs at dusk though, they hang out in the sheltered downstairs area and won't climb the ramp up to there enclosed perch area. Having to place up there after dark.
Any ideas to teach them to go up? Thinking about building stairs as my mans a builder.
Looking forward to hearing your wisdom!
Cheers Celia

Hello Celia!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Sometimes a light inside the hen house helps. It took mine awhile to warm up to their new home. Just be patient and good luck.
:thumbsup

Last edited:
Howdy celiacantdecide and Welcome to BYC

Even with their mum standing at the top of the ramp encouraging them, while they have no trouble going down the ramp in the morning, my little ones cannot fathom going back up
roll.png

For the first couple of weeks, I ‘air lift’
wink.png
them and they eventually get the hang of it.

I am wondering though, as you mention you move yours after dark, if you can try moving them at dusk when they can still see where they are going?

If they start milling around and looking unsettled, peeping more etc, this is usually a good sign they are ready for bed and also the best time to move them.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your ideas, have just got them to bed! Haha. I decided to open the bottom and all but one let me move them upstairs. So I created a makeshift set of stairs and the last one hopped up!!!

Will have to see what they do tomorrow night.

Also attempt to place them all on the perches once they're asleep, but one jumps down and they all follow...

welcome-byc.gif

If you can post a picture of your set up that might help us give you suggestions.

silkies aren't fliers - they can jump high - they tend to sleep on the floor, in a corner, all piled up. If they have big crests/beards, their vision is obscured, so that is another reason why they may not attempt to get up there. Maybe try a lower roost for them .

Back
Top Bottom