6 black silkie bantams 8weeks old...in NZ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by celiacantdecide, Oct 22, 2015.

1. celiacantdecide

celiacantdecide New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hi there everyone, I'm new to raising and keeping chickens. Got our 6 at 10days old. Doing well, have been put in their coop for around 5days now. Having trouble with getting them to go upstairs at dusk though, they hang out in the sheltered downstairs area and won't climb the ramp up to there enclosed perch area. Having to place up there after dark.
    Any ideas to teach them to go up? Thinking about building stairs as my mans a builder.
    Looking forward to hearing your wisdom!
    Cheers Celia

2. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello Celia!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Sometimes a light inside the hen house helps. It took mine awhile to warm up to their new home. Just be patient and good luck.
    :thumbsup

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy celiacantdecide and Welcome to BYC

Even with their mum standing at the top of the ramp encouraging them, while they have no trouble going down the ramp in the morning, my little ones cannot fathom going back up [​IMG]

For the first couple of weeks, I ‘air lift’ [​IMG] them and they eventually get the hang of it.

I am wondering though, as you mention you move yours after dark, if you can try moving them at dusk when they can still see where they are going?

If they start milling around and looking unsettled, peeping more etc, this is usually a good sign they are ready for bed and also the best time to move them.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  4. celiacantdecide

celiacantdecide New Egg

Aug 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thank you so much for your ideas, have just got them to bed! Haha. I decided to open the bottom and all but one let me move them upstairs. So I created a makeshift set of stairs and the last one hopped up!!!

Will have to see what they do tomorrow night.

Also attempt to place them all on the perches once they're asleep, but one jumps down and they all follow...

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you can post a picture of your set up that might help us give you suggestions.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    silkies aren't fliers - they can jump high - they tend to sleep on the floor, in a corner, all piled up. If they have big crests/beards, their vision is obscured, so that is another reason why they may not attempt to get up there. Maybe try a lower roost for them .

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by