6 eggs out of 8 hens

dodgewoman

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Who's holding out on me? LOL I have 8 hens and consistently have been getting 6 eggs a day. Two being blue from my EE so I know they are laying every day. I have one Partridge Rock and 5 Goldsex links. Is this normal to get less eggs than hens a day? My friend gets 15 eggs a day from her 15 hens. I think she's just lucky;)

They're probably all laying and alternating their days off so you get a fairly consistent number of eggs. My guess is they are all in their first season of laying, correct?

100% per day is unusual. If your friend is truly getting 15/15 (and not pulling your leg or exaggerating the truth), then she probably has production egg layers, like red, black (or gold) sexlinks. They will lay an egg a day consistently for their first couple of seasons of laying, and then they will be done.

Your EE's and your Rock will not be able to sustain that level of laying but will lay for longer. I have a three-year-old Buff Orpington who still lays 2-3 eggs a week.

She has Rhode Island Reds.

Yes, mine all just started laying in July of this year. Interesting. I'm glad to know that even though I get 6 eggs a day I should get them for a longer time, one would hope!

Back
Top Bottom