6 week old rhode islan red

imaye

Hatching
Nov 5, 2015
Hi all

I have recently bought my 2 rhode island reds and 3 orpingtons. They are 6 weeks old.Its the first time I am owning and raising chickens.

1 rhode island red doesnt look well at all. She closed her eyes and pick her head up and down, at the same time open and closes her mouth.

She is definitely not ad active and bubbly as the rest.

What should I do?

It may be too late to save that one from the sound of it. But, you might want to go ahead and get some Corid to put in the water because the most common illness in chicks seems to be Coccidiosis. Make sure there is nothing in the area that they could choke on or be poisoned by also.

At that age be on the lookout for any chicks with a red comb and waddles appearing, as that would be a male.

Thanks for the reply. I have kept her isolatef from the rest over the past few days and treated as you suggested. Also gave her some deworme. Seems to be improving.

Another chick seems to be getting the same thing now. I always thought chickens were hardy, i feeling disheartened about keeping chickens now as it is sad to seed them, especially that im new to this?
Do you think that the i could of bought them sick or that im not looking after them properly?

Did you use Corid on the one improving? Make sure you treat the whole flock with Corid in the water. They get Cocci from the dirt (all animals do). Don't be discouraged, Cocci are a very common problem for all chicks. I hope that's all it is because no one should be selling infected chicks--although some chicks obviously just don't survive for whatever reason. Once they get older you have to watch for worms, but other than that chickens are generally easy to maintain. But you always have BYC to help!

Tip: Feed your chicks scrambled eggs to perk them up. You can also put vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics in their water (I use Rooster Booster). A lot of people also put a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in their water, which raises the PH, and prevents algae from growing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom