6 Year old Buff Orpington with closed eye.

donnaboydjones

Songster
11 Years
Jul 7, 2011
Whidbey Island, Washington State
I have a 6 year old Buff orpington that has seemed to have had problems with one eye for quite some time now. For the past 3 years or so , her eye has been half closed and I did everything at that time to no avail of having if clear up. It actually wasn't ever fully opened when I rescued her and her 3 sisters.
Yesterday when treating all my chickens for the normal lice/mites check and vasoline leg treatment, I noticed her eye was completely shut. I put some vetericyn eye gel in her eye. There is also nothing in the eye that I am able to see; worm/worms or any other parasite. Should I try terramycin or baytril?
Is there anything else or better that I should use to treat/heal the eye?
Other than the eye, she has and does act normal.
IMG_5701 2.jpg
IMG_4506.jpeg

What does the eye look like when you open the eyelids? Is the eye intact? There looks like white drainage on the outside of the eye. Do you see any bubbles in the eye, or is the conjunctiva or red mucus membrane inflammed or swollen?

What does the eye look like when you open the eyelids? Is the eye intact? There looks like white drainage on the outside of the eye. Do you see any bubbles in the eye, or is the conjunctiva or red mucus membrane inflammed or swollen?

Hey there and thank you for responding-

It looks normal- nothing red, mucus, it looks just like a normal eye, but it can't be since it's shut. What you are seeing coming out of her eye, is the eye wash treatment I did on her that was still coming out.

I want to add that the other hens are on the lower roosts and they do get defecated on at times from the hens above them depending on location, so I am not sure if got something like that in her eye and got infected at some point.

You could try flushing the eye with saline, and then applying a small dot of Terramycin eye ointment or some plain Neosporin ointment twice a day for 7-10 days to see if it makes a difference.

You could try flushing the eye with saline, and then applying a small dot of Terramycin eye ointment or some plain Neosporin ointment twice a day for 7-10 days to see if it makes a difference.

Thank you - I will do and hopefully my old girl will be good afterwards.
Have a great weekend.

Back
Top Bottom