7 month old pullet drooling, and can't see well! please help!

DesertBrahma

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2015
New Mexico
I have 3 Dark Brahma pullets. 1 is 8 months and other 2 are about 7 months. The oldest is laying and the other 2 should start in the next month or two. I went out to check the girls and 1 is pecking at the air like she's eating but not getting even close to the feeder. She is thin compared to usual, and has some drool. She's walking around with the guidance of the other 2 girls. Yesterday she was fine, scratching around eating her feed, and nummies. She's usually very skittish but today I was able to just walk up to her and touch her. I tried to see if her pupils will contract but they are huge. She has almost no iris showing. Also her crop has nothing in it. I can usually get my hands on her once a week but not like I was able to today. I do observe my girls every day when I give them a bit of scratch. Her eyes were fine yesterday, she had a nice full crop, was eating and drinking no problem. What is going on, and how do I help her? I need to make sure the other 2 girls don't get sick too. I also want to help her because she's a real pretty sweetheart. Please help me help my Everest.

Our weather has been flip flopping every which way recently. A friend suggested I separate her from the other 2 and give her some antibiotics for a few days. See what happens then. Poor girl just doesn't seem right not trying to evade me when I try to touch her. So time to get a kennel ready and put her in it.
Ok this morning my poor Everest has a bit of food in her crop. I gave her some chick crumble, and oxyterramycine. I scrambled up an egg for her and added some meal worms, and black oil sunflower seeds last night and just left her in a carrier in my laundry room so she has been warm and dry. Plus completely segregated from my other 2 girls. I have her on a thick layer of straw and she seems comfortable so far. It's a matter of time and care tosee she gets better. At this rate all 3 of my girls are going to be inside the house at 1 time or another this winter. I'm going to get her out for a little to check her, and to change her bedding after a while. I also got her some probiotics, and electrolytes. I don't know if chickens are the same as dogs, cats or people that they can get antibiotic diarrhea but if they are I have it covered.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom