7 out of 20 dead or dying from hatchery what is happening?

Merrymouse

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Ive raised chicks. I know what to do mostly. Im no expert but Ive done it several times.
The first time I bought hatchery chicks all 17 perished in the mail BUT there was a giant blizzard, so understandable. So for years after I always just bought local until this year. I ordered 16 chicks from hatchery, the weather was mild for march 50's near 60. So they sent 20, I picked them up at the distribution center at the crack of dawn so they wouldnt have to go in another truck to my local post office. Got home 2 were DOA, 2 more almost dead and died within 15 minutes or so and now there are still 2 more on the verge of death. I dipped their beak in water with sav-a-chick, i put them right under the brooder to warm up. The two really weak ones I've been trying to get nutridrench into them a little bit. A handful of them are running around eating, drinking, warming themselves like normal robust chickens but another handful not so much not counting the 2 really bad ones. What would you do?

I don't want this to be bashing the hatchery shoulda, coulda, woulda post just want to know if this is just the norm because of the stress of handling, traveling etc.

Thanks all

just want to know if this is just the norm because of the stress of handling, traveling etc.
Unfortunately, I think it is pretty normal. :(
Add 'bad' hatches as some deaths seem to be one breed or another, and the rest are fine.

Seems like there have been a string of 'dead chicks on arrival' threads lately.......
It's spring chick season, happens every year.

Just lost two more but those are the ones I couldn't really get to take any food or water so kinda expected that. So out of 20 Im down to 13. bummer. Lost another Maran and a spitzhauben.

Ive raised chicks. I know what to do mostly. Im no expert but Ive done it several times.
The first time I bought hatchery chicks all 17 perished in the mail BUT there was a giant blizzard, so understandable. So for years after I always just bought local until this year. I ordered 16 chicks from hatchery, the weather was mild for march 50's near 60. So they sent 20, I picked them up at the distribution center at the crack of dawn so they wouldnt have to go in another truck to my local post office. Got home 2 were DOA, 2 more almost dead and died within 15 minutes or so and now there are still 2 more on the verge of death. I dipped their beak in water with sav-a-chick, i put them right under the brooder to warm up. The two really weak ones I've been trying to get nutridrench into them a little bit. A handful of them are running around eating, drinking, warming themselves like normal robust chickens but another handful not so much not counting the 2 really bad ones. What would you do?

I don't want this to be bashing the hatchery shoulda, coulda, woulda post just want to know if this is just the norm because of the stress of handling, traveling etc.

Thanks all
Well I was just at the store today and what they are seeing they said is NOT normal.....they are having tons of chicks.arriving dead and hatcheries have told them that they are having trouble getting eggs to hatch. The cashier was also one to report.that her chickens have not laid in 6 months. She said never had this trouble before.

Well I was just at the store today and what they are seeing they said is NOT normal.....they are having tons of chicks.arriving dead and hatcheries have told them that they are having trouble getting eggs to hatch. The cashier was also one to report.that her chickens have not laid in 6 months. She said never had this trouble before.
This thread is 5 years old, my friend.

The eggs are hatching fine but it's unusually dark and blizzards are pretty much everywhere this winter. chicks are delicate and don't do well if chilled in shipping, that's why they're dying. Your birds likely went into molt in late summer/ autumn, went on winter break and are waiting for 14+ hours of daylight to start again. Just be patient. :]

Back
Top Bottom