7 week old chick disabled

McCash40

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
I received 25 mixed pullets from Mt Healthy in May and they have all been active and healthy so far. Yesterday I noticed one of my BL's acting sort of drunk. She would shuffle and scuttle along stiff legged and rock back on her legs as though trying to keep her balance. The chicks were all vaccinated at the hatchery and have had very little in the way of treats, other than corn and a couple of grapes.
I have isolated her and she still eats and drinks. Her poo is loose. Her eyes are dark and bright still. Any help would be appreciated.

Have your chicks been on medicated chick crumbles? Do they free range? You say they were vaccinated at the hatchery. Do you know which vaccinations they had? We really need more info to make any educated guesses.

I every case of illness, the preliminary advice is the same. Separate the sick one, preferably in an area (like a dog crate) where you can more closely observe the chick for any other symptoms and know exactly how much he/she is eating and drinking. Give nothing but chick crumbles and water. Treats should be limited to yogurt and cooked egg. If you have Polyvisol vitamins (without iron) give the sick chick 3 drops directly in the beak. Wait and watch and update this thread regarding diet, vaccinations, food/water intake, and any other symptoms you've noticed.

Thanks for replying. The were vaccinated for Mereck's at 1 day old. I have fed them nothing but starter crumbles (Poulin) with cooked egg yolk and a couple of grapes as treats. I have had no problems whatsoever to this point. I noticed that since I took away the heat lamp, they have been piling up at night, but when I go out in the morning they are roosting and separated. Maybe it is an injury? It is a brown leghorn and one of the smaller birds I have. She is a wicked flyer as well.

Back
Top Bottom