FoxySonia

Songster
Aug 17, 2020
Queens, NY
I got a black Silkie bantam unsexed chick from Ideal Poultry that unfortunately has a crossed beak, that just recently became apparent, though it appears to be milk, and could improve with proper trimming. I'm giving him/her away for free, as well as a blue laced red Wyandotte bantam unsexed chick (also from Ideal Poultry). They hatched on April 28 and are now 8 weeks old. The Wyandotte bantam is a slow feathering runt, and is about the size of a 3 or 4 week old chick. He/She is still almost bald, just has feathers on head, back of neck, knees and tip of wings, so looks like a growth stunted, tiny plucked chicken. They were vaccinated for Merek's at hatch and have been raised indoors in an 8' x 8' tent brooder, and fed Grubbly Little Pecks Chick Crumbles dry, Scratch and Peck Organic Chick Crumbles soaked in water, and a variety of produce assorted lettuces, baby spinach, cabbage, squash, zucchini cucumber, deseeded apple and pear, andhave been raised with love. Pick up at Corona (Queens), NY. If you're interested in getting either chick, or both, please email me or text me (contact me here and I'll send you my phone number).

view

view

view

view

they look sad why you not keep these chickens and give them love?
I already have more chickens than I have the space for or afford to feed. And where I live roosters aren't allowed, and I'm already breaking that rule/law? by keeping my Polish rooster. So far no neighbor has complained or ratted me out, but I can't take my chances with more roosters just because I want to keep them or feel sorry for them. That is why I am rehoming these 2 chicks, which could be cockerels, and try to sell the others that turn out to be male in order to recover some of the money I've spent on them, but any I can't sell I'll end up having to also give away for free.

The crossed beak black Silkie went to a new home today, along with a pair of white Silkies and a pair of golden neck d'Uccle chicks, purchased by a woman from Long Island. Still have so many more that need new homes.

These chicks appear malnourished. Perhaps if you stopped giving them treats and just fed them the formulated crumbles they would be restored to health. They need the protein in the commercial feed for muscle growth and feather development. I know you love them and mean to do well by them, but when chickens fill up on fresh veggies and fiber they do not eat enough of the good nutritious food, just as children won't if you let them gorge on cake and ice cream.

Do you have any left?
Yes, I have 10 bantam cockerels to give away for free to a good home. They are now 3 months old. You can see their photos on these posts:

3 Free Wyandotte bantam cockerels
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-wyandotte-bantam-cockerels.1486899/#post-24786162

3 Free Buff Sebright bantam cockerels
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-buff-sebright-bantam-cockerels.1486873/

2 Free Barbu d'Uccle cockerels
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-barbu-duccle-bantam-cockerels.1486906/

1 Free Belgian d'Anver bantam cockerel
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-belgian-danver-bantam-cockerel.1486901/

1 Free Old English Game bantam cockerel
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-old-english-game-bantam-cockerel.1486914/

If I can't rehome them by the end of this month, I will try to get them to a rooster sanctuary. Last year, when I still had 3 Silkies and a Polish cockerels to give away, a woman had contacted by email to tell me she had a rooster sanctuary and could take my boys. I was able to find them a home with a nice family with a big land property who already had over 30 hens and a small rooster flock. I keep hoping to find these boys a loving home, but after finding new homes for the first 14 cockerels (7 sold and 7 I gave away for free to one of the customers and his neighbor), but since have not had any luck finding people who want a rooster. I feel bad for them, as they are going stir crazy in their small cages indoors. I've placed ads on Craigslist and the posts here.

These chicks appear malnourished. Perhaps if you stopped giving them treats and just fed them the formulated crumbles they would be restored to health. They need the protein in the commercial feed for muscle growth and feather development. I know you love them and mean to do well by them, but when chickens fill up on fresh veggies and fiber they do not eat enough of the good nutritious food, just as children won't if you let them gorge on cake and ice cream.
I appreciate your comment. I highly doubt that they are malnourished, as they get more feed (both the Glubbly dry crumble and the Scratch and Peck mash) than they can eat, and I don't give them treats until they have filled their crop with their feed, and don't give them veggies every day. The Wyandotte runt has filled up and feathered out, and is now just a little smaller than his 2 larger brothers. But thank you for your feedback.

I appreciate your comment. I highly doubt that they are malnourished, as they get more feed (both the Glubbly dry crumble and the Scratch and Peck mash) than they can eat, and I don't give them treats until they have filled their crop with their feed, and don't give them veggies every day. The Wyandotte runt has filled up and feathered out, and is now just a little smaller than his 2 larger brothers. But thank you for your feedback.
So glad to hear.

Back
Top Bottom