8 year old pekin duck cant walk very well. This isn't an emergency I just need advice.

Angel is the only one I'll be treating, unless one duck all of sudden decides they have a niacin deficiency too but I doubt that will ever happen.
Angel walked really well when I fed them she even slightly ran without stumbling!
It makes me soo happy that she is getting better and better everyday!
:wee
She's in good hands! I look forward to hearing her progress!

Well, I'm still going to try finding those niacin supplements, being honest I forgot about some of the stuff covered in this thread like the Now niacin supplement or whatever it's called.

Sadly, Angel passed away yesterday 29-09-23. She seemed quite healthy outwardly shed been getting her new feathers in and was kind of walking well a few weeks ago.
About last week I noticed she was losing weight but I mostly chaulked that up to her possibly not getting enough food now that there are five ducklings who are not so small anymore and possibly ate a lot of before she could. A few days ago I was handling Angel and I she was really light and wasn't really moving her head much and just kind of rested her bill in my hand when I held it near her, I also noticed her eyes looked a bit smaller in a sense, I didn't think to much of it though.

With those things in mind though I was thinking she not gonna make it past the winter, I suspected she would go in a few months or more, I didn't think it would be so soon I really wanted to try getting her on some daily niacin supplements, and see if that would help her walk better.

I think she was just old and things were naturally just not working anymore, I just wish I could or would have done more for her when I could. I kind of feel like I failed her I really wanted her last few years to be comfortable and for her to be able to walk with ease.

Least she won't be in any discomfort anymore.

I was in town when she passed my siblings found her laying in one of the many areas she usaully hung out, which is an area the other ducks are the most. She ate that morning if I recall correctly and acted quite normal, I'm thinking she passed at around 2:00pm or 3:00pm she was found at about 4:00pm.

I hope she was comfortable in her last moments, she lived a long time and had always been free ranging during the day and since the ducklings they've all been let to stay out at night too, they all appreciate that. And I'm sure Angel really liked being out at night.
Rest in peice Angel, I will always remember you and I'm greatful to have had you in my life for so long, I will miss your quack in the mornings at feeding time, I'll miss you splashing water on me when you swim and play in the water.

I hope to give the ducks that are still here with me the best I can and hopefully they will all continue to live well and long. And I wish that for everyone's animals too. I hope everyone is having a great day or night

Well, I'm still going to try finding those niacin supplements, being honest I forgot about some of the stuff covered in this thread like the Now niacin supplement or whatever it's called.

Sadly, Angel passed away yesterday 29-09-23. She seemed quite healthy outwardly shed been getting her new feathers in and was kind of walking well a few weeks ago.
About last week I noticed she was losing weight but I mostly chaulked that up to her possibly not getting enough food now that there are five ducklings who are not so small anymore and possibly ate a lot of before she could. A few days ago I was handling Angel and I she was really light and wasn't really moving her head much and just kind of rested her bill in my hand when I held it near her, I also noticed her eyes looked a bit smaller in a sense, I didn't think to much of it though.

With those things in mind though I was thinking she not gonna make it past the winter, I suspected she would go in a few months or more, I didn't think it would be so soon I really wanted to try getting her on some daily niacin supplements, and see if that would help her walk better.

I think she was just old and things were naturally just not working anymore, I just wish I could or would have done more for her when I could. I kind of feel like I failed her I really wanted her last few years to be comfortable and for her to be able to walk with ease.

Least she won't be in any discomfort anymore.

I was in town when she passed my siblings found her laying in one of the many areas she usaully hung out, which is an area the other ducks are the most. She ate that morning if I recall correctly and acted quite normal, I'm thinking she passed at around 2:00pm or 3:00pm she was found at about 4:00pm.

I hope she was comfortable in her last moments, she lived a long time and had always been free ranging during the day and since the ducklings they've all been let to stay out at night too, they all appreciate that. And I'm sure Angel really liked being out at night.
Rest in peice Angel, I will always remember you and I'm greatful to have had you in my life for so long, I will miss your quack in the mornings at feeding time, I'll miss you splashing water on me when you swim and play in the water.

I hope to give the ducks that are still here with me the best I can and hopefully they will all continue to live well and long. And I wish that for everyone's animals too. I hope everyone is having a great day or night
I'm so sorry for your loss :(:hugs

That's a lovelie thought!
I like to think she is able fly and has the ability to swim in all kinds of lakes and ponds now and can do whatever she couldn't before!

I'm sure your duck was really happy to have experienced being under your care, wishing all your other duck and pets good health, and good luck!

Here's a few of my favorite photos of Angel
View attachment 3649117
Angel next to Haru
View attachment 3649118
Angel with Chiharu my first and oldest duck after a big storm early in the morning
View attachment 3649119
In the bottom photo Angel is behind the preening black duckling.
This is scout my therapy Campbell and my new pekin named Gem. I love him the way I loved Ping but Gem will have a full and healthy life with good food and exercise if I can help it ❤️❤️

Attachments

• 71520494311__9AB0D75F-B59B-416B-8359-F5E141345B7A.jpeg
    71520494311__9AB0D75F-B59B-416B-8359-F5E141345B7A.jpeg
    817.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2692.jpeg
    IMG_2692.jpeg
    755.5 KB · Views: 3
I have 7 hens and 2 drakes.
My ducks and chickens all free range till the chickens put themselves to bed, the time they get let out and locked up can vary a lot but I try to close them up an hour after the sun goes behind the mountain which is around 8 or 9 pm. I usually let them out around 8:00am or 7:00am I try to let them out earlier than that but I don't always wake up and get out there around the times I would like to let them out at.

If it's the same bottle I have you'll want a needle/syringe to draw it out. You could just pop the rubber top off but that could get a bit messy/wasteful, especially if something got in it and it went bad as you said. As far as storage goes I just leave mine with the rest of my duck's first aid kit. I know some keep theirs in the fridge to avoid spoilage, but my fridge goes below the recommended storing temp (59-77 F). More importantly is keeping it somewhere out of light and where the temperature won't fluctuate.
Would just the syringe work or will I have to get a needle to fill the syringe with the b complex?
I have it with my first aid too, my room gets pretty cold at night so it should be almost like a refrigerator albeit not as cold but sometimes it gets to be 58 degrees in my room if it's winter.

I put everything in this box yesterday.
20220524_072424.jpg
20220524_072430.jpg

Most of it is stuff to treat A Angelina's bumble foot. I have nutri-drench and vetrx as well but those wouldn't be able to go into the first aid box that I have currently I will get something bigger eventually.

For about a year and half or more then that the ratio was actually 8 hens and 2 drakes but Maria was drowned almost two years ago when I wasn't home and no one else was either ever since then I don't fill their tire pond thing, cause we also had a chicken drown the same week Maria did.
I have to go let them all out now.

Would just the syringe work or will I have to get a needle to fill the syringe with the b complex?

You'll need a needle on the syringe to pierce the rubber stopper if you don't remove it. Tractor Supply sells disposable needles if you have one nearby. I imagine wherever you bought the b complex from sells them too, but your experience may vary there. The Murdoch's I bought it from were out of disposable needles at the time.

Your first aid kit looks pretty good so far! I'm at the point where I need a bigger box for mine too.

For about a year and half or more then that the ratio was actually 8 hens and 2 drakes but Maria was drowned almost two years ago when I wasn't home and no one else was either ever since then I don't fill their tire pond thing, cause we also had a chicken drown the same week Maria did.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've recently figured out my 10 are a 6 (male) to 4 (female) split. Fortunately mine are still young enough that aggression hasn't been much of an issue yet. Although one of the boys is definitely starting to show out as a bully. In the process of figuring out who gets to stay with the girls and what to do with the rest.

You should be good just storing it in your medical box. Those temperatures sound fine. If you have to draw the complex with the needle there'll probably be trace amounts that will drip/get drawn on the outside of the needle, which will dry and look a little crusty on the rubber top, but that won't be a big deal. You can just dab it with a tissue or paper towel after each use if you want to avoid that.
Okay, thank you.
I don't have a needle for it yet but I think ill be able to get one today at murdochs... (Maybe)
What kind or size is best for just drawing the b complex? I have 3ml louer lock syringes.
I can use the same syringe each time just rinse it out after pouring the b complex onto a treat and it should be good to use again, right? what about the needle, I am pretty sure I need to use a different needle everytime I draw from the b complex, right?
How exactly do you put the complex on the treat?
I am thinking of using banana as a treat for Angel, would "filling" the banana with the complex be a good idea?
Angel laid an egg yesterday, it had a healthy shell I would assume shed laid one again today I haven't gone out there yet.

i have been a little concerned with the way some of Angels poops look they aren't really weird or anything but there is just this little worry of mine that some of her poops look weird.
I am also extremely paranoid about the way their poops look and am always worrying something is wrong with them, mostly due to the loss of two hens (chickens) in the last few months they were both 8 or 9 years old so they were just slowing down and stuff I think the first one I lost, had a reproductive issue and ended with sour crop.
The other had a crop issue and then I don't really know what caused her to pass at least I don't know what exactly her entire issue was.
Point is both birds had weird poops due to their sicknesses I guess you could say and I think its really put me in worry mode as well as I don't really know what is and is not entirely normal for ducks especially since there isn't any good info and stuff about duck poop and how it's supposed to look.

Okay, thank you.
I don't have a needle for it yet but I think ill be able to get one today at murdochs... (Maybe)
What kind or size is best for just drawing the b complex? I have 3ml louer lock syringes.
Since you won't be injecting any animal I don't think the size of the needle matters too much. I guess a smaller needle might do a little less damage to the top over time? I doubt the difference would be considerable though.

You can probably check Murdoch's website to see if they have any in stock. My local store usually keeps a pretty accurate count of their inventory online.
https://www.murdochs.com/search/?query=disposable needle
I can use the same syringe each time just rinse it out after pouring the b complex onto a treat and it should be good to use again, right? what about the needle, I am pretty sure I need to use a different needle everytime I draw from the b complex, right?
I try to get multiple uses out of a needle. As long as you're keeping it clean and storing everything properly there shouldn't be anything that contaminates it. Just fill a cup with warm water after each use and draw it out with the needle/syringe to rinse them off.
How exactly do you put the complex on the treat?
I am thinking of using banana as a treat for Angel, would "filling" the banana with the complex be a good idea?
Just draw the complex out and squirt it over one of their favorite treats really. I would think a banana would be fine as long as it absorbs the complex well. I tried getting fancy and injecting it into a treat hoping it might disguise the bitter taste better, but all I really accomplished was getting the needle dirtier.

i have been a little concerned with the way some of Angels poops look they aren't really weird or anything but there is just this little worry of mine that some of her poops look weird.
My ducks poop in all different sorts of shapes, colors, and consistencies, so I'm right there with you in not knowing exactly what should be considered normal. Has there been anything in particular that has stood out to you?

Since you won't be injecting any animal I don't think the size of the needle matters too much. I guess a smaller needle might do a little less damage to the top over time? I doubt the difference would be considerable though.
Okay
You can probably check Murdoch's website to see if they have any in stock. My local store usually keeps a pretty accurate count of their inventory online.
https://www.murdochs.com/search/?query=disposable needle
My Murdoch's had some yesterday I don't know a But today, I went to murdochs yesterday but could not get any needles.
I try to get multiple uses out of a needle. As long as you're keeping it clean and storing everything properly there shouldn't be anything that contaminates it. Just fill a cup with warm water after each use and draw it out with the needle/syringe to rinse them off.
Thank you.
Just draw the complex out and squirt it over one of their favorite treats really. I would think a banana would be fine as long as it absorbs the complex well. I tried getting fancy and injecting it into a treat hoping it might disguise the bitter taste better, but all I really accomplished was getting the needle dirtier.
That's what I thought. I was thinking that injecting the complex into the banana or whatever treat would keep mess low at least it would not waste as much complex.
My ducks poop in all different sorts of shapes, colors, and consistencies, so I'm right there with you in not knowing exactly what should be considered normal. Has there been anything in particular that has stood out to you?
I think some of her poops look a little musouscy but those ones usually are a green color usually a pretty bright green but not neon green. She will have really big poops that are kind of a brownish gray color kind of similar to their food or whatever she ate before that poop. If I see a poop that is a bit concerning to me I will get a photo of it and post it here if needed.
I feel all my ducks to an extent seem to have weird poops maybe it's just them Idk.

That's what I thought. I was thinking that injecting the complex into the banana or whatever treat would keep mess low at least it would not waste as much complex.
Yeah it can get a bit messy. Unless you can get her to lick the bowl clean there's always going to be some that goes to waste giving it to them like this. I wouldn't fuss over it too much. If Angel is the only duck you're treating the bottle should last a good while.
I think some of her poops look a little musouscy but those ones usually are a green color usually a pretty bright green but not neon green. She will have really big poops that are kind of a brownish gray color kind of similar to their food or whatever she ate before that poop. If I see a poop that is a bit concerning to me I will get a photo of it and post it here if needed.
I feel all my ducks to an extent seem to have weird poops maybe it's just them Idk.
Mine sound a lot of the same. Best I can tell is the difference varies pretty drastically depending on how much time they've been spending in the water, and like you said whatever they've been eating most recently.

Back
Top Bottom