9 month old hen stopped laying

DanCha

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2017
Castle Rock, CO
Hi, we are new to raising chicken and have concerns about one of our hens. Mabel is a speckled sussex and almost 9 months old, and stopped laying eggs a month ago. Her comb is more pale than our other speckled sussex hen. She acts otherwise normal, eats and drinks, does not isolate herself from our flock (we have 5 hens and 1 rooster). We feed the Purina Organic Layer Pellets and give them a little scratch in the morning, as well as other small amount of treats (rolled oats, spinach, alfalfa and mung bean sprouts,...). We also put Big Ole Bird probiotics into all their water supplies 3 days straight, once a month. Our other birds (the hens) are all laying. Not as much right now with the shorter days, but still very consistent. We don't see any indication of mites. We use activated Oxine to disinfect our coop periodically. What could be the cause for Mabel not laying? Any help would be appreciated.

That's a long time for her to be laying. If she isn't going through a molt I would guess she's taking a break. She should resume by spring and it's perfectly normal.

You may either want to stop feeding extras, or switch to a higher protein feed. Layer usually is 16% protein, which is the minimum daily requirement. Adding in extra lower protein stuff can lower the overall daily protein enough to make them deficit.

I personally feed a higher protein feed so I can give them stuff without problems. 18-22% protein is the best. I feed either a non medicated starter grower or an All Flock ration. I keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Mabel laid an egg this morning!
I have started the transition to a higher protein feed, Easy Feed Organic Layer 20% w/ omega pellet, thanks to oldhenlikesdogs
We have also put a light (regular bulb) into the coop 5 days ago, that’s on a timer and turns on at 5am, 2 hours before sunrise.
So happy she is healthy and laying again!

Back
Top Bottom