9 Month old hen toe picking

ADK-Chicken

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 1, 2009
Hamilton County NY
I have a dozen RIR hens. One of them has out of no where started picking at her own toes to the piont of significant bleeding. She stopped for a few days but then started right up again. She also seems to not be as social as she once was. I thought it was maybe because i had them cooped up for a few days during a cold spell, but now they are free range again and no change. I do give them some scratch grains to keep them occupied when the ground isnt bare. I have been reading about this problem with chicks but havent found anything on older birds. Any help would be appreciated.

is this hen bullied?
is she low in the pecking order?
maybe something happened while they were cooped up, and she is stressed..

could she have mites?

try separating her with another hen (a docile hen) for a few days, and give them some extra protein, (such as eggs) and some vitamins and electrolytes..
if you don't have poultry vitamins on hand, you can use Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..no iron..2 drops once day for a week on the beak..then taper off for another week..
diluted Pediolyte can be used as electrolyte if you don't have commercial mix

to make transition easier for all..you might want to change hen companions every day.

watch behavior and droppings..color and consistency.

Last edited:
I have a CA White X Porcelain D'Uccle Cross (least that's what I'm calling her) she has feathers on her legs and it drives the other chickens nuts. She has to hide her feet or they get pecked until they bleed. Lays a nice sized cream colored egg every other day.

I have never seen her get bullied and always seems to be right there in the mix as far as scratch and treats go. I've looked her over and can find no evidence of any other problems. I'll try separating her today with another hen and see if I can locate those vitamins. As far as a "docile hen", my flock seems to be very friendly overall. I don't have any other flocks around to compare them to but I have not even been able to see an established pecking order in mine. I’ve never seen any bullying at all. Actually, the other day I had a hen that was into some mischief in a small shed that I have. I picked her up and she didn't like it. She started clucking loudly and 3 other hens came running from outside into the shed and kind of came at my feet aggressively. They didn’t peck me but the threatened it a whole lot until I set the hen down. Has anyone had this type of thing happen before? Maybe the were just telling me that I’m not that high up in the pecking order. Ha-ha. Well thanks for the advice and any more input would be appreciated.

Update !!! The toe picking appears to be getting worse. She is now picking at her own breast feathers too. She is not out with the other hens free ranging, she is finding odd places to roost and just sitting there. ??????

Back
Top Bottom