911!!! CRUSHED 21 DAY EGG, CHICK STILL ALIVE! ASSISTING HATCH!

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
Help! Went up to check on Mama hens progress with brooding and to remove shells of chicks I knew had hatched. Two eggs had been crushed, one had passed but one was still breathing and moving! I’ve brought it down to our incubator.

It pipped almost 24 hours ago, so it’s not too far off. I’ve removed some shell, looks like it still had some yolk to absorb. Wet the membrane, no veins at all in the inner membrane. Probably was close to hatch. Set it on a paper towel in a bowl inside our incubator. What else can I do?

Attachments

• 2B0D360F-DF22-456C-B8A3-21F836CC6663.jpeg
    2B0D360F-DF22-456C-B8A3-21F836CC6663.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 140
Well, I took it out to moisten the membrane and remove a few more pieces of shell. The membrane was starting to shrink wrap and adhere, so I worked it back slowly with a toothpick and wet q-tip.

Got to the umbilical cord, and the yolk sack was fully absorbed! Looked like a tiny bit of blood left to absorb, so I removed most of it the shel and left the portion with 1 or 2 vessels still attached. Chick is back in the bowl, sleeping hard. Leaving it in the bowl so that there’s a bit of support and the other chicks bopping around don’t rip it out.

I think it might make it!!! 🥹❤️

Attachments

• 8C2871FF-723B-44BB-9E09-1AE9368876B6.jpeg
    8C2871FF-723B-44BB-9E09-1AE9368876B6.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 86
Yay!! That’s awesome!! Nice job!
Thank you so much! Little baby slept super hard for about four hours, and then started to get active and Wiggley with the other chicks. I took her out, removed the yolk sack, and now she is all fluffed up and happy as a clam! I will post a successful fluffy chick picture in just a minute!

Felt really good to save her!

Help! Went up to check on Mama hens progress with brooding and to remove shells of chicks I knew had hatched. Two eggs had been crushed, one had passed but one was still breathing and moving! I’ve brought it down to our incubator.

It pipped almost 24 hours ago, so it’s not too far off. I’ve removed some shell, looks like it still had some yolk to absorb. Wet the membrane, no veins at all in the inner membrane. Probably was close to hatch. Set it on a paper towel in a bowl inside our incubator. What else can I do?
I would pray....His eye is on the sparrow, remember? Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom