911!!

I have my soon to be 5month old chicken here yesterday I opened her coop and she looked all puffed out and sluggish! Her crop has been empty but she’s now showing interest in eating I bought her inside with me. I gave her nutridrench yesterday evening then save a chick electrolytes in her water. Then last night I started her on corid( as someone instructed) and she doesn’t seem better! I’m really scared I just lost 2 chickens! One just a week ago and the other a couple weeks ago. She’s showing a lot of the same signs as them..puffed up sluggish lethargic not eating. She also just took a poop(attached below) and I have no idea what’s going on or what her poop is about. I’ve never seen any poop like this from any of my chickens! Please help! The last 2 photos were from last night!
This bird is extremely sick and if you don't get it to a vet quickly it's probably going to die.

Is a vet an option?

The electrolytes perked her up because she is weak. She very likely has a bacterial infection, possibly C. perfringens, a deadly toxin associated with anaerobic bacteria such as found in decaying compost piles or vegetation deep where oxygen is scarce. Chickens can feed on insects that thrive at this level and become so sick they die in the first 24 hours after exposure.

It's crucial to recognize the symptoms and get an oral antibiotic started as soon as possible as this bacteria is vicious. Any broad spectrum antibiotic will work if you have anything like that on hand. Or call Tractor Supply if you are in the US (please people, add your location to your profiles!!), ask for fish amoxicillin. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days.

The electrolytes perked her up because she is weak. She very likely has a bacterial infection, possibly C. perfringens, a deadly toxin associated with anaerobic bacteria such as found in decaying compost piles or vegetation deep where oxygen is scarce. Chickens can feed on insects that thrive at this level and become so sick they die in the first 24 hours after exposure.

It's crucial to recognize the symptoms and get an oral antibiotic started as soon as possible as this bacteria is vicious. Any broad spectrum antibiotic will work if you have anything like that on hand. Or call Tractor Supply if you are in the US (please people, add your location to your profiles!!), ask for fish amoxicillin. The dose is 250mg per day for ten days.
So this antibiotic I need is over the counter and I don’t need script for it? I’ve been calling several different places to even ask for any local places they may know of! I’m currently on hold with Chatham Animal Hospital at the moment! I’m going to call tractor supply and another local feed store in town and ask if they have this available! Thank u so much!

So this antibiotic I need is over the counter and I don’t need script for it? I’ve been calling several different places to even ask for any local places they may know of! I’m currently on hold with Chatham Animal Hospital at the moment! I’m going to call tractor supply and another local feed store in town and ask if they have this available! Thank u so much!
And sorry didn’t realize I didn’t add my location!! I created this awhile ago finally for advice I needed directly after only being a silent reader. I treat the whole flock with this medication as well right? Even the older ones who are in completely separate coop and aren’t free ranging now with all foliage gone. I just want to be clear I’m following and do exactly as you say! Trust me my chickens are just like our dogs and cat are in our family me love them very much and I will always do what I can for them! I am learning!!! I’ve never had any of my chickens come down with any illnesses like this until this past season!

Ok so all of the other local feed stores and tractor supplies i called said this is no longer an in store item it needs to be ordered online and we obviously don’t have that kind of time! Would Tylan another antibiotic i think they said it was is available will that work or no?

Back
Top Bottom