A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

They get some pollen but mostly packed honey. The door gives them faster access to the upper part of the hive and thus they draw out the comb and unload honey more quickly as well.

Thanks, that is why I'm considering it. I've heard from so many that they will store more with an upper entrance. I think I'll give it a try next spring.

19149eba4bf93c12f6f336cfe73507c3.jpg

Good evening! My husband and I are interested in beekeeping. I have read most of this thread and 2 books. I live on the Mississippi gulf Coast. I have recently found a craigs list add for a complete 10 frame hive with bees for $250.00. For spring 2016. I wanted to check with you knowledgeable folk as to what questions I should ask when I make the phone call. The questions that I have so far are:
1. What variety are they selling?
2. Does he/she have a certificate of health?
3.whether or not I can pay half as a deposit and the balance on collection?

I would appreciate any further advice, thanks in advance.

I would rather start with new boxes and buy bees from a bee producer.
There is a lot of things to look out for in old hives, beetles, mites, wax moths... It is a lot to deal with right from the start, and if you know that the boxes and foundations are new and clean then that is one thing you do not have to worry about while you are getting the feel for the whole bee thing.

But that is probably just me. I think people who have confidence should be fine.
We can not get the inspector out to even look at our hives, so... I do not know how valid a certificate of health is.
Also moving bees is a talent upon itself.
Convincing them to stay and fly back to where they used to live is another.
You will want some equipment before you go get the bees: smoker, hood, ect..

Go to the dadant web site

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/index...5Sif8EQ3OP8C1vjYHx1dWvGFW4bylODp_wBoChwvw_wcB

and price out what it would cost to get started and then weight what you are getting with what you need cost wise.

I would rather start with new boxes and buy bees from a bee producer.
There is a lot of things to look out for in old hives, beetles, mites, wax moths... It is a lot to deal with right from the start, and if you know that the boxes and foundations are new and clean then that is one thing you do not have to worry about while you are getting the feel for the whole bee thing.

But that is probably just me. I think people who have confidence should be fine.
We can not get the inspector out to even look at our hives, so... I do not know how valid a certificate of health is.
Also moving bees is a talent upon itself.
Convincing them to stay and fly back to where they used to live is another.
You will want some equipment before you go get the bees: smoker, hood, ect..

Go to the dadant web site

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/index...5Sif8EQ3OP8C1vjYHx1dWvGFW4bylODp_wBoChwvw_wcB  

and price out what it would cost to get started and then weight what you are getting with what you need cost wise.

Thank you very much, he will also be selling nucs for $120.00. Maybe that would be the way to go with all clean equipment.

We went with a nuc box and after they got settled in their new latitude, we moved the frames into the new brood box. Then when they decided to swarm the following year, we transferred some honey and brood into the nuc box, let the swarm drop into the nuc and then started the process over again.
I am sure there are better ways to do things, but that worked for us.

Because we had to travel several hours Moving a nuc was easy enough, you wrap it plastic kitchen wrap-the bottom is screen so they can breath, and drive home with it in the back of the car.

I suppose if you want to start splitting hives and get going in a big way quicker, a hive would be the way to go.
I can only tell you how we have done it and why we did it the way we did, it doesn't mean we are right or that we know what we are doing. The older I get the more certain I am that I know far less than I ever thought I did.

Oh yeah, I'm always finding something new to learn. I do agree with your comments that starting with all new equipment is the way to go. It would be hard to find out that some "add-ons" came with used boxes and frames. You might want to establish contact with the Gulf Coast Beekeepers and the Mississippi Beekeepers as a way of dialing in what is happening in your region; and if you have a feed/farm store that stocks beekeeping supplies, pick their brains about reputable beekeepers. It's helpful to know about everything that is available to you right in your neighborhood and what support you can call on when you have questions about what is going on in your beeyard. Just my two cents, in my first year of beekeeping.

Oh yeah, I'm always finding something new to learn. I do agree with your comments that starting with all new equipment is the way to go. It would be hard to find out that some "add-ons" came with used boxes and frames. You might want to establish contact with the Gulf Coast Beekeepers and the Mississippi Beekeepers as a way of dialing in what is happening in your region; and if you have a feed/farm store that stocks beekeeping supplies, pick their brains about reputable beekeepers. It's helpful to know about everything that is available to you right in your neighborhood and what support you can call on when you have questions about what is going on in your beeyard. Just my two cents, in my first year of beekeeping.

Well I called the guy, he is the president of a local bee association. We will be going to our first meeting their on Monday. This will be the last meet of the year. We ordered 2 Nucs that we will collect on April 6th. He said he is available for any problems that may crop up and he is also going to introduce us to a gentleman who has 30 years experience in the bee keeping business. His name is Mr Tom. He doesn't keep bees any longer as he is quite elderly, but he will drive around and help people trouble shoot. We are so excited getting our bees in a row. My bee man will spend a few hours with us giving us a lesson when we collect them too. Thanks alot for all your advice it is greatly appreciated. I am sure I will need a lot more in the coming months.

Back
Top Bottom