A Bielefelder Thread !

Does anyone here have hatching eggs or chicks that they are selling in the near future?

Anyone selling chicks come this September or October when the weather cools off?
I have 3 cockerels and 1 pullet that are 6 weeks old. I got them from an auction on RBA from a certified NPIP seller out of Ohio bout 3 weeks ago. I'd be willing to let a pair go for $60 plus shipping. I'm in the Charleston area of SC. They are off of the GFF lines according to the seller. Let me know if y'all are interested.

Please understand that GFF is not a quality breeder, they are really just a high dollar hatchery. They work with what they have, like most backyard breeders. The GOAL with any breed is to make it the best quality it can be in every aspect. It is up to US to make them better than what we got. Cull hard and work forward every generation. Don't assume because you see it from a supplier that it is OK, it is not an OK thing to breed forward. If it is all you have work with it but make sure the hens don't have it and make sure your next cockerel doesn't have that trait THEN you are making progress.

Hi - all true what you say - breeding for quality is what it's all about for fanciers. I don't know GFF stock except that I think we wouldn't have many of our rare breeds in the States today without GFF original imports. Some breeds GFF imported are so rare that bringing them into the U.S. helps keep the breeds from dying out elsewhere in the world. I know my sweet little Breda came from a breeder/owner who got their stock from GFF. I never heard of Breda until I saw them on the GFF website. So while breeding to standard is a desireable goal I am grateful to GFF for bringing some of the rarer breeds to the USA for us backyarders to eventually enjoy (via the fanciers who are perfecting them for sales and show).

Please understand that GFF is not a quality breeder, they are really just a high dollar hatchery. They work with what they have, like most backyard breeders. The GOAL with any breed is to make it the best quality it can be in every aspect. It is up to US to make them better than what we got. Cull hard and work forward every generation. Don't assume because you see it from a supplier that it is OK, it is not an OK thing to breed forward. If it is all you have work with it but make sure the hens don't have it and make sure your next cockerel doesn't have that trait THEN you are making progress.

Actually, this is completely untrue. Each year our breeding stock is critically evaluated for strengths and weaknesses, and only the best breeding stock is carried forward into the breeding program. Fewer than 5% of the males make the cut. We have our stock evaluated by APA judges to help in the selection process. Our breeding program is as rigorous as any program aimed at producing the highest quality offspring.

Actually, this is completely untrue.  Each year our breeding stock is critically evaluated for strengths and weaknesses, and only the best breeding stock is carried forward into the breeding program.  Fewer than 5% of the males make the cut.  We have our stock evaluated by APA judges to help in the selection process.  Our breeding program is as rigorous as any program aimed at producing the highest quality offspring. 
Greenfire farms is one of the best. I wished they still had the Jubilee Eng Orps. Theirs were the best.

Last edited:
Actually, this is completely untrue.  Each year our breeding stock is critically evaluated for strengths and weaknesses, and only the best breeding stock is carried forward into the breeding program.  Fewer than 5% of the males make the cut.  We have our stock evaluated by APA judges to help in the selection process.  Our breeding program is as rigorous as any program aimed at producing the highest quality offspring. 
What standard are the APA judges using to evaluate your Bielefelders? Is there any way you could post a copy or tell us where we can obtain one? I emailed GFF about a standard with no reply several weeks ago. I have also spoke with APA on the phone. We would love to see a written standard in English.

^ plus one. That would be very helpful. It would be nice for Green Fire Farms to post their input a little more often. That is if you guys have the time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom