A Bielefelder Thread !

Well, I lost my absolute favorite hen, my Bielefelder girl named Gretel, to heat stroke today. We went to dinner with some family, and when we got home rigor had already set in. I'm feeling like a pretty awful chicken mommy right now.
hit.gif

Oh no. So sorry. You guys must be getting pretty hot out there. We are heading for upper 90's this week. Summer worries me more than winter. :/ Again, I'm so sorry, why does it always has to be the favorite.
hugs.gif

Oh no. So sorry. You guys must be getting pretty hot out there. We are heading for upper 90's this week. Summer worries me more than winter. :/ Again, I'm so sorry, why does it always has to be the favorite.
hugs.gif

I know, right? I have to hens that I dislike so much I'm probably going to cull them soon, but THEY are handling the heat just fine. Ugh!

Soon I'll have almost nothing but Naked Neck and NN-mixes in my flock. Along with my Barred Rocks, they hold up best to the heat.

My girl is growing so fast!

She hangs with these little bantam cochins and Millies, and a couple of EE's in a grow out pen. The EE's will be going out soon. There is also a bantam Barred Rock! Never had one before, it is a sweetheart too.

Saris, would this work the other way around? I have ccl hens and a biel roo?
I believe it should. The auto sexing feature comes from the interaction of the barring genes on a partridge base. I think both CCL and Bieles would be partridge if you took away the barring.

Well, I lost my absolute favorite hen, my Bielefelder girl named Gretel, to heat stroke today. We went to dinner with some family, and when we got home rigor had already set in. I'm feeling like a pretty awful chicken mommy right now. :hit
So sorry for your loss. I know how much you loved her and how well you take care of all you chickens.

Has anyone crossed their Biel roo with a CL hen? How about with an EE? Will most of his offspring be autosexing?
I would like to know the answer to this! I have a Biel roo that is 15 weeks, and CL roo and pullet that are 9 weeks old. I was planning on keeping them separate, but perhaps down the road this would be an interesting blend.

I am too impatient to have to wait a year to figure out what will happen when you hatch a cross and then have to wait for them to mature and lay/hatch eggs, and then wait for those to start laying!

I know that immediate gratification is impossible, but having some kind of info would help with the anticipation.

I made the rounds of my neighbors and asked if the Biel roo crowing disturbed them. Everyone said that they liked hearing him!
love.gif
Who knew that I'd find such a nice little street 10 years ago? It was pretty much a roll of the dice!

Back
Top Bottom