A Case of Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bollmash, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Bollmash

Bollmash Chirping

Jan 24, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    So out of my new chicks I got from TSC, one has pasty butt. I cleared the poop out from her vent and got it out of her down, but I’m still worried about her. She keeps picking at her butt and so do the other chicks. I did just see her poop for the first time since clearing it up though! That’s good,right? Besides the pasty butt, the chicks are doing extremely well and their feathers are coming in very nicely. I've attached photos of all of the chicks. I’m not sure on sex or breed of any of them. The largest is Willy Nelson, the second largest with feathered feet is Loretta Lynn, the one with a black stripe down the back is Reba McEntire, and the smallest (and pasty butt victim) is Dolly Parton.

Attached Files:

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Picking always worries me.

Give the chicks lots of space and things to stay busy so that they aren't tempted to pick at each other.

Usually if one of mine has pasty but I like to put olive oil on the back end... to keep everything greased and stop sticking.

If they are picking because there is any redness you probably need to cover the redness with blu-kote.

ChickenCanoe, Bollmash and Stephine like this.
  3. Bollmash

Bollmash Chirping

Jan 24, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    I did put a little bit of olive oil on her and when I checked her this morning she looked fine and still clear. There didn’t seem to be as much picking either. What are some things I could give them to keep them busy though?

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello...First off I love the names..Put Vaseline on its butt..That helps. If chicks get cold they get pasty butt..

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Normally, pasted vent is a problem of short duration.
    It can be from a variety of things but I've found that offering probiotics gives good results.
    A few years ago, I started putting http://gro2max.com/ in chicks first water and haven't had pasty vent since.
    I notice you are using red heat lamps. While that can hide blood, it doesn't give an opportunity to provide a daily dark period that birds need.
    I've been using ceramic heat emitters that you can screw into the same socket. They're more efficient, aren't as fragile, come in multiple wattages and allow for hemeral lighting (daily light/dark periods). I use 75 watt to 150 watt.
    Keeping the lights on 24/7 can lead to picking. Blue light is more calming to chickens.
    If one will be brooding regularly, I recommend the Premier1 heat plates (extremely efficient) and pay for themselves in energy savings by the end of the second brood.
    You can get the ceramic ones at pet stores but they're less expensive on ebay.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...itter.TRS0&_nkw=ceramic+heat+emitter&_sacat=0

Cee Gee, ChooksNQuilts and Alaskan like this.
  6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Chicken Canoe gave some great advice!

As to chicks having things to do... little perches to jump on and boxes to hop in and put of and hide behind. Of course it depends on their age... the older they are the more stuff you can give them. Garden weeds are great for them to play with and eat.

ChickenCanoe likes this.
  7. Bollmash

Bollmash Chirping

Jan 24, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    Just ordered gro2max and a new bulb. Thank you so much for the help! I’m sure my chicks would like to thank you too!

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  8. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Free Ranging

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    I put a terra cotta saucer for plants in the brooder with them and scatter a little chick grit, starter crumbles and chopped hard boiled egg in it.
    The freakin loved it. They are starting to scratch now and they just had so much fun with it.
    D14DC637-FB1C-4619-AE5D-048F59B7D012.jpeg

9. Bollmash

Bollmash Chirping

Jan 24, 2017
    Dallas, Texas
    I gave them a cut up scrambled egg and they ate it all! I was shocked, I didn’t expect such little chicks to eat so much!

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  10. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Free Ranging

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    Oh yes they know the good stuff when they eat it lol.
    Mine were suspicious at first but then they went nuts as soon as the bolder ones discovered it.
    I’m amazed at how much they stuff in those little bodies.
    And they grow so fast!

Bollmash likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: