A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

She is such a pretty bird Memphis, and it sounds like she's got a nice personality too - I'm so glad you picked her up!

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I am thinking she is last years hatch making her over a year. Her head does not look old and she looks in good shape. A nice blue, now take a drive north and you can get her a blue Tom.

I am just guessing on age, I can't believe someone has not put up ads or posters for her, she is a nice looking girl.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    She sure is sweet. She decided she likes her head scratched. Wish I knew how old she is. Heck....wish I knew what she was doing standing along a busy road.

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    As tame as she is she was definitely hand raised as a poult. My guess is she either escaped & ended up way far from where she belongs or someone had her as a house turkey & suddenly realized they couldn't keep her & just turned her loose thinking she would go live in the wild.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  5. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    Well I think my mystery turkey is a boy....we had some very definite gobbles today - and I'd swear the snood is finally growing a little. Maybe he was just gender-confused living with a bunch of chicken hens and no other turkeys lol. I saw his head turn bright red, white and blue too. All signs of a tom yes?

6. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Sounds like you have a tom. [​IMG]

7. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

He's somewhere around 17 weeks and I was getting pretty impatient to know, darn him :)

8. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! Now you can name him!

9. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

I've been calling him "turkey" since he was a poult - now to come up with a name.....any suggestions? I hadn't really thought of any manly names since he was looking so much like a hen up til now. Wouldn't want the poor guy to get tagged with anything I had come up with for the chicken hens :) I'll have to remember to give all the babies very generic names since it takes so long to know what they are.

One of the littles (2 weeks) was running around puffed up and displaying today - so darn cute! Doesn't even have tail feathers to display, but the baby tufts were standing straight up :gig

10. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

:) Too cute!

My DH changed my turkey's name again.
    He has now been dubbed Big Bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by