A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have a swarm in a hole in a tree you could have.

I'm allergic to bee stings. I just give it a wide berth when mowing.

But I got talked into leaving it because native hive are getting rare around my area.

I have a swarm in a hole in a tree you could have.

I'm allergic to bee stings. I just give it a wide berth when mowing.

But I got talked into leaving it because native hive are getting rare around my area.

Just put a white box with a little hole in it next to the hive, with a huge vacancy sign. They will move into the new digs in minutes.

Aurora. Congrats on the new poults.

Memphis. No eggs from narris but soon I hope. So no hen yet.

Ralphie. Did the blind hen come home?
What caused her to go blind?

Just asking cause I have a hen I'm probably going to have to cull due to being blind as of this afternoon.

Aurora. Congrats on the new poults.

Memphis. No eggs from narris but soon I hope. So no hen yet.

Ralphie. Did the blind hen come home?
What caused her to go blind?

Just asking cause I have a hen I'm probably going to have to cull due to being blind as of this afternoon.

She was not blind she had small eyes which tends to lead to bad eyesight. I assume that is why she ran into the barrel and other things. She also ran in a straight line away from the coop. Which is not normal behavior, to me. She headed across an open field so there was nothing to hit. I assume she either died or met up with some wild turkeys down there. Either way she is gone and I do not have to process her but I lost a dinner for 4.

any truth that lavenders are prone poor eyesight ?

"... Occasionally the Lavender is affected by a lethal gene which manifests itself in eye problems. This is more common in females than in males and can lead to complete blindness. The problem in this variety is worldwide. It is important not to breed with any such birds but it is generally thought that if a healthy sighted Lavender is bred with a Slate turkey, the problem does not manifest itself as much as when breeding Lavender to Lavender.
http://www.rbst.org.uk/Rare-and-Native-Breeds/Poultry/Turkeys/Blue

any truth that lavenders are prone  poor eyesight ?

"... [COLOR=1D2129]Occasionally the Lavender is affected by a lethal gene which manifests itself in eye problems. This is more common in females than in males and can lead to complete blindness. The problem in this variety is worldwide. It is important not to breed with [/COLOR][COLOR=1D2129]any such birds but it is generally thought that if a healthy sighted Lavender is bred with a Slate turkey, the problem does not manifest itself as much as when breeding Lavender to Lavender.[/COLOR]
http://www.rbst.org.uk/Rare-and-Native-Breeds/Poultry/Turkeys/Blue

Mine was a slate. Self blue......but the eyes were noticeably small.

Last edited:
One of my friends cracked me up tonight. She called & said "Let's go to dinner, scrape the turkey s**t off your shoes & I'll pick you up in 20 mins ". The funny thing was I had just finished cleaning pens. Only a good friend would know the probable state of my shoes!

Blah! Gloomy misty day. Come on spring!!

No idea whats going on with my chickens. Little slackers haven't layed an egg in over a week. And no turkey eggs yet.

Back
Top Bottom