A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Well I have 1 tom and 8 hens haven't seen any action yet this year but didn't know if 8 was too many for him to cover.

You should be okay with that ratio. I have known of someone that kept 10 hens to 1 tom.

My toms are strutting but no hens are sitting for them. Usually actual breeding starts later this month here with the first eggs being laid around the middle of March.

You should be okay with that ratio. I have known of someone that kept 10 hens to 1 tom.

My toms are strutting but no hens are sitting for them. Usually actual breeding starts later this month here with the first eggs being laid around the middle of March.

That's the time frame I am suppose to be on. What a screwed up winter. I have egg in the bator, and more to go this week.

Well I have 1 tom and 8 hens haven't seen any action yet this year but didn't know if 8 was too many for him to cover.

You should be okay with that ratio.  I have known of someone that kept 10 hens to 1 tom.

My toms are strutting but no hens are sitting for them.  Usually actual breeding starts later this month here with the first eggs being laid around the middle of March.

Thanks for the reply I had heard mixed things but am sure he will do fine.

That's the time frame I am suppose to be on. What a screwed up winter. I have egg in the bator, and more to go this week.

I don't provide artificial light. Winter seems to be lingering here, the ground is still frozen. It had started to thaw a little but this new cold front put a stop to that. If anything the hens seem to be a little behind last year. Of course last year we had a major January thaw that really hurt a lot of trees.

This year we had an unusual wind direction along with sub -20°F temps. It froze the bees so I will have to replace them.

I don't provide artificial light. Winter seems to be lingering here, the ground is still frozen. It had started to thaw a little but this new cold front put a stop to that. If anything the hens seem to be a little behind last year. Of course last year we had a major January thaw that really hurt a lot of trees.

This year we had an unusual wind direction along with sub -20°F temps. It froze the bees so I will have to replace them.

Are the bees harmful to native bees?

Can you get native honey bees into a "box" ?

I don't provide artificial light.  Winter seems to be lingering here, the ground is still frozen.  It had started to thaw a little but this new cold front put a stop to that.  If anything the hens seem to be a little behind last year.  Of course last year we had a major January thaw that really hurt a lot of trees.

This year we had an unusual wind direction along with sub -20°F temps.  It froze the bees so I will have to replace them.

I'm sorry you lost your bed :( We're going to try to start with bees this year and hopefully catch a swarm.

Are the bees harmful to native bees?

Can you get native honey bees into a "box" ?

The bees were Italian honey bees and are not harmful to any insects that I am aware of. You can hive native honey bees if you know what you are doing. It is fairly simple if you can find a swarm.

The first bees I had were from a swarm that moved into a wall of our house. My father smoked them out, put them in a hive and said they're yours. I have had bees for most of my life since then.

I'm sorry you lost your bed
sad.png
We're going to try to start with bees this year and hopefully catch a swarm.
I lost my bed a long time ago. It is what happens when you live alone and don't throw anything away.

Good luck with finding a swarm. You will most likely find it easier to buy package bees than to find a swarm.

Back
Top Bottom