A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

The heat took a turkey today. I found Big Bird dead by the waterer. I have been having my fingers crossed that I do not lose too many in this hot humid spell.

If I get though this with just losing big bird I will be satisfied.

I have 68 cxs 8 1/2 weeks old this weather is hard on them. I am just keeping lots of water out for them and letting them free range into the tall grass and shade.

So I let the Criminal out of prison, no sense him staying in there with Big Bird gone.

So sorry about Big Bird. I sure hate to hear that. It's been a hot & humid summer here too. Shade, water, and box fans are about all I can do.

That's so sad. Maybe early parole will make him behave. Sorry to hear about your loss. I was thinking about setting up box fans in the yard for my flock. We have have had some serious heat here too. I just don't know if it would freak them out or work perfectly.

Darn, sorry to hear about big bird! I hope it cools off a bit there and you don't lose any more. It's been hot here too, but cooled off a lot after the big storm last weekend. Fingers crossed that your criminal has learned some manners.....

I hang box fans on my turkey pen. And the chicken pen. Doesn't seem to freak them out. Of course my chicken free range all day, and the turkeys are loose when I'm home. But staging box fans other than in there runs is impractical for me. But it helps at night when it doesn't get below 85. One thing they love are wading puddles. I dug a few shallow spots in the yard, only about 3 " deep, & fill thrm with water before going to work. They all love to stand in the water. It cools them off. My blue slate turkey actually just lays down in them.

Ralph I am sorry about big bird.

My chickens stay in the coop when it's hot out. The coop is in the shade and it has screen and wire doors and windows so the air keeps it pretty cool in there compared to out in the heat.
They also have a shade area in the back of their run.

The heat took a turkey today. I found Big Bird dead by the  waterer.   I have been having my fingers crossed that I do not lose too many in this hot humid spell.

If I get though this with just losing big bird I will be satisfied.

I have 68 cxs 8 1/2 weeks old this weather is hard on them. I am just keeping lots of water out for them and letting them free range into the tall grass and shade.

So I let the Criminal out of prison, no sense him staying in there with Big Bird gone.

Sotry to hear about big bird. I have been using fans all summer, adding electrolytes and ice to the waterers. I think it has helped. Poor fella.

Back
Top Bottom