A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS

That's just awful. So sorry.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Fiesty...seems odd that the coyote would come that close during the day. Dont know much about them. But did grow up in the country, would hear them at night but never saw them during the day. Was it just one or several? You have to be proud of Turkules raising the alarm like that.

3. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

We do have coyotes in the area and there are fields around us - we seldom see them several hundred yards from the house during the day, but not at all this year. It was a lone one this time but it was just awful seeing it running away with one of my ladies in it's mouth. DH took off after it with the "coyote deterrant" aka the shotgun but he wasn't fast enough to catch it. The birds are all in the pens now (they were surprisingly cooperative about going in), and we are off to the store get materials to extend the fenced area in hopes that it might prevent further "crimes of opportunity". I think we'll curtail our free ranging activities for a bit and give them more fenced space. Darn it, I'm steamed about it coming so close to the house!

Turkules was just awesome - I think he would have come into the house to get us if he could have figured out the doorknob - he was yelling at the door :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Fiesty...mine are pets too. It's tough loosing one. But I'm impressed with Turkules! By the way....how is his wing doing?

5. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Turkules wing is doing better - he still can't fly but he's flapping more and holding it up better than he was. I still wish I knew what he had done to it!

I think it might have been easier to lose one of the ladies if I hadn't seen it happen and know that there was no way I could catch the stupid coyote. I could have done without the visual :/

But we're back from the store and about to start work on an increase to the fenced area - which will hopefully be preventative to more incidents like this morning.

6. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feistychick, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Good for Turkules! He is a hero.
    We have coyotes too but most often its raccoons that get our girls. Two years ago, we had a bloody massacre over a three week period, my neighbors and I lost a dozen chickens. Since then we enclosed the run ceiling to floor. Even encased the tree with wire. We haven't had any trouble until last week when ChaCha was attacked. I'm considering security system with cameras.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Feisty sorry to hear about that coyote. I suggest a predator call and a piece of lead traveling 2300 FPS.

Good luck on getting him. I lost bunch this summer too to coyotes or foxes during the day. Coyotes are the most likely as they hunt daylight hours.

8. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Feisty, sorry to hear you lost a bird. Coyotes are never fun to deal with.

With this heat and humidity does anybody have any suggestions on something I could add to the turkeys water that has electrolytes in it? Also how long should they be in quarantine for? I've heard anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

9. chicapee

chicapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS

I use rooster boost. It's great.Has electrolytes, vitamins and probiotics.

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I use probiotics also. I would keep them locked up at least 3 weeks, my last newbies I kept in a month,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by