A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    It was really interesting...one determined turkey & one terribly mad hen. Wish I had a picture of Grumps poking out from under the turkey tail. The turkey made a sound I've never her make before. She was peeping like a chick at one point. Not sure what that was about.

So...those of you with several different types of heritage turkeys...do the different varieties have different personality traits? I only have the two hens, Blue Slate & Bourbon Red, and they are quite different.

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Well today's discovery is that Turkules does not like power tools. We've been working on expanding the fenced run area, and he absolutely MUST see what we're doing. He spent the better part of the day puffed up and gobbling, but he wouldn't leave the area that we were working in. 7 acres of yard and he had to be where things were making noises that he hated, what's up with that??

The babies are growing like crazy, they're about 5 weeks now and one of the little turds flew up onto the barn roof :barnie They are not totally coordinated in their take off and landings yet - so I just about had a heart attack when he started running around up there. He flew off with no calamities, but dang, I had no idea they could get up there at this age.....

3. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

I can't compare many different varieties, but I can say that my experience so far has been that the personalities seem to be very individual. The 4 babies are all bourbons that have been raised together in the same environment, but they are all completely different in their personalities.

I'm very curious what more experienced turkey people have seen with the different varieties....it might help me decide what my next turkey babies will be :)

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have to agree, each turkey has its own personality. Some may be similar but no 2 are identical.

poor grump, getting laid on!

5. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    At what age do young Bourbon red hens start showing wattles? I have 3, 12 week old babies that just started deception and showing little wattles. I'll try to get a couple pictures up here after the sun comes up. I'm praying at least one of them is a girl to go with Adam. I'm going to be so upset if they're all boys. Especially since both of my slates decided to be boys :/

6. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Maybe this is a silly question but should turkeys always have access to there food if not out free ranging and getting into trouble? If they shouldn't always have access how much should they be fed?

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Fiesty...I think Turkules was upset because you weren't letting him use the power tools. You know how guys are! :rolleyes: It's amazing that little guy made it up on the roof. And so glad he made it down. I had a young Barnevelder fly up on my garage to play king of the world. Took forever to con her into coming down!

Chaos....I leave feed in their coop all the time. And oyster shell. They munch throughout the day. They also free range when I can keep an eye on them.

Ralph...I obviously didn't want Grumps hurt. Probably shouldn't have let the turkey climb in on top of her! But she's a hen with a lot of "attitude " and I enjoyed the battle of wills! Here she is.. her picture says it all!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't even express how funny that pic is to me! She looks like one tough bird!

9. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow, they were NOT cooperating with me this morning! Everyone was super excited and jumping and flapping all around. I was making noises at them to get them to stand still (hence the struts lol). So what do you guys think? The 3 little Bourbon reds are 12 weeks old but hens or Toms?

And of course, no photo shoot is compete without a closeup of Adam lol. He's 17 weeks old now and has yet to gobble. His snood is still s bit pathetic too but he's always strutting around.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Aurora...I'm a novice & have no clue. But love the pictures. Especially the second one with the rooster in the back round craning his neck too! Sorry I'm no help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by