A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That is a good question. I just keep a feeder full for mine during spring lock up. I also throw them a lot of scratch and food scraps to keep them busy. I even visit them during the day. My turkeys are weird. they spend most of the day socializing even while free ranging. They do not really eat at chicken TV hour either. They just come to visit. I sometimes wonder why JJ has not starved to death, he never seems to eat. just gobble and talk to me.

I even opened up some old straw bales for Ethel and her chicks that had nice big grub worms in them, they ignored the grubs, which is weird because chickens would have gone nuts over them. The turkeys seem content to just nibble on grass in the yard.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I am not an expert, but to me it looks like you have lots of testosterone their. When the snoods, even little ones start to bend to the front, they are normally boys. My hens snoods are pretty much straight and not very long. The only time I have ever had a hen "display" (and it is a pathetic display) is when she is with young and trying to protect them.

3. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Memphis - the chicken pics is awesome, if she were a person she would have hands on her hips for that pose lol.

Aurora - I love the pictures, they are beautiful birds! Wow it is hard to even guess what those bourbons are - they look so much alike and I can't see any differences between them. I've been looking at my babies trying to figure out the same, with no success so far. I think I might have 2 and 2 but will have to wait to find out.....sigh, waiting bites.

Chaos - I also leave food out all the time, they just seem to pick at it as needed. Turkules is pretty happy eating grass and weeds most of the time and hits his feeder in between.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I may be over thinking the differences in turkey temperments. I've been an AKC judge so long...and expect to see a difference in temperment or skill sets in different dog breeds. For instance Herding breeds want to herd, Working breeds want to work, and Terrier breeds are refered to as the "Terribles" for a reasons. And even amid various breeds within the same Group there are differences. Hounds...some hunt by scent (Dachshund ), some hunt by sight (Afgan). So I was assuming that there was differences between Heritage turkey breeds. Is one breed considered to be friendlier, is another breed known to be more aloof. Smarter, dumber, agressive, layed back...you get the idea. There are differences in chicken breeds. Still curious....

5. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The problem is that there are only a very few actual breeds of turkeys. The majority of turkeys are all the same breed and just differ in their color varieties which should cause the vast majority of them to act very similar to each other.

I have noticed that among the varieties that I have had that the Bourbon Reds were the most people friendly. The Royal Palms seemed a little more skittish and the ones that actually had some real wild turkey blood in them were far wilder and better fliers than any of the others.

1 person likes this.
  6. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Bob, that makes sense! My Bourbon Red is a lovable goof-ball. And for what it matters so is my Blue Slate! Thanks!

7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Thank you :) I would've been happier if they'd have moved away from my mess first o I could take their pictures but they didn't want to. The rooster would be Zeus, the black copper Marans. He thinks he's all that!

Oh I hope not :( if at least 1 is a hen, I'll be happy.

Thank you :) they drive me crazy! Even I can't tell them apart yet!

8. TakenBackBre

TakenBackBre Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2013
    . Midget whites are lovely birds. As friendly as a dog. I love mine. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. chickadoodles

chickadoodles True BYC Addict

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Sorry for everyone's losses.

Aroura the turkey will stay friendly as adults but when they are in breeding season they are very protective of their hens. I found that if I pet my hens neck or chest the tom's don't get huffy about it.
    And the toms will stay friendly. Hen's they are iffy. lol
    But none of my birds hurt me. I did have a hen that did not like me and she tried to fly at my head, but my tom flew up and bounced her back! That was my pet ACE! My first turkey pet.

10. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Well I figured I'd better get to building nest boxes, the chickens will probably start laying one day soon. So that was the project of the day. Built turkey boxes too just in case any of the babies are actually hens *fingers crossed*. Had a tree that was dying off, so chopped off a thick branch for a lovely new roosting pole too. Everything is installed and I am covered in saw dust - so it must be time for a relaxational beverage now..... Take a day off work and get all kinds of things accomplished :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by