A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Well I lost Thanksgiving last night. He had been sneezing the last couple days and had yellowish runny poop. Wouldn't do much moving around either. Not sure if the heat and humidity was a contributing factor but I'm sure it didn't help. Any thoughts on what he had? Would like to keep the other three alive.

2. chicapee

chicapee Songster

Apr 15, 2015
    Pass Christian, MS
    I am sorry, so many folks losing there birds lately.

3. feistychick

feistychick Songster

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Sorry to hear about Thanksgiving, I hope the other three are okay.

4. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I'm so sorry for your losses :( it's so hard to lose one unexpectedly.

5. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Thanks! He's my baby boy and the very first poult I've ever hatched. Maybe it's because when he hatched, I pulled him right or of the incubator, held him up and introduced myself to him as his mama lol

Lol, I know I'm in for a world of hurt later on! He's only 17 weeks old right now. He knows he's too big for my shoulder now so he doesn't try to get up there anymore at least but he does love to be snuggled. I'm just hoping he stays this friendly as he matures. I'm tempting fate with those spurs and claws one day but I just can't resist!

That's because that's exactly how he feels lol. Most of the time, the flock will just lay down around us and chill out for a while but he usually won't leave my lap until the rest of the flock wanders almost out of sight.

Just after these hammock pictures, Adam got really confused and freaked out (and none too happy) when my one EE hen, Maple, came running full speed being chased by a rooster and jumped up on me for protection (she can't stand the roosters). Of course, it was one of the young roosters and he must've had tunnel vision because he didn't notice me at all and jumped up too,right on top of Maple who was on me. THAT was mass confusion! Adam panicked and scrambled down with wings flapping everywhere, the young rooster noticed me and panicked just as I was trying to reach for him to knock him off and poor Maple was just waiting to be rescued lol! Usually Adam will fluff and strut like crazy when anyone other than him is on my lap but I think he was way too confused this time (heck, I was confused!)

6. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    What the ( insert expletive here) am I doing wrong? Lost the other youngster last night. Yesterday he seemed a little lethargic but wasn't sneezing and I didn't seewhat his poop was like. Went out to check on the birds and let the chickens out and he was dead. Kinda makes me want to end there quarentine and take my chances if it keeps the two Sweetgrass alive.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    If I have it figured correctly you have only had them 4 days.

If I was in your place I would think the same thing as you, HOWEVER, that is why I come to BYC to get a less emotional more rational approach to my problems.

The purpose of quarantine is to prevent your other birds from getting whatever a new bird might have. LEAVE THEM IN QUARENTINE! if they are going to die, that is where you want them to die, then clean and disinfect the area and keep your other birds away from them and/or their bodies and droppings.

It sucks to see them die, but it is better they die there than infect the flock and die.

DO you have fans you can put on them, I understand you have this heat we have here. I lost one to heat. I am hoping I lose no more. Good luck.

8. feistychick

feistychick Songster

Jul 25, 2015
    It's been a sad morning here. DH let everyone out to roam the yard this morning. Next thing - we hear Turkules making ungodly screaming noises. I raced outside and saw a coyote trotting out of the yard with a mouthful of chicken. Lost one of my sweet blue cochin ladies :hit Spent the last hour searching for the rest of the chickens that were hiding to make sure we didn't lose anyone else. Turkules fussed and paced until we herded everyone else back to where he could watch them. This is my first batch of birds and this is the first I've lost to a predator - it's so upsetting, even though logically I understand that when you live in the country this happens. It is a little bit comforting to know that he will put up one heck of an alarm if something is wrong.

9. memphis

memphis Crowing

Aug 6, 2012
    Oh Feistychick...I'm so sorry. :hugs

10. feistychick

feistychick Songster

Jul 25, 2015

Thanks Memphis, the chickens are more pets than anything - it really bites to lose one! They follow us around the yard and chatter while we are working. They are less than 6 months old so really didn't understand that there are predators out there. Will have to work on finding a way to let them out with less risk, since the darned coyotes are brazen enought to come right up to the house and grab a bird :mad:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by