A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie...is tomorrow freezer camp day? Hope all goes well.

Had the chickens & turkeys loose in my yard this morning before work. Decided to run around to the front of the house to turn on the soaker hoses. Of course I was still in my pajamas, with "coop" boots. But it was early, nobody around. Unfortunately I left the gate open just enough for the chickens to sneak through & run down the drive after me. Quickly followed by the turkeys. What a mess herding them back. Miscalculated how many folks are driving or jogging by at 6:30. I looked like crazy bird lady. Oh well....at least the turkeys had fun!

1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Yep, tomorrow is camp day. I spent the whole day getting everything set up. And of course, the freezer in the shed next to the camp bus stopped working.

Taking your birds jogging every morning is so considerate of you..

3. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Well that's a bummer...the freezer quitting. How many are going to camp?

The chickens come out front sometimes to help in the garden. First time for the turkeys. That Bourbon Red, (Annie) sure is vocal about anything new.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

60 going to camp. the freezer is just an old spare I use a couple times a year on camp day. I have 4 others in the basement.

5. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    Do your guys BB turkeys fly?? I was told they would never need a roost but they have been managing to get up on a roost five feet in the air. They r lighter than they should be since over the summer they didnt get feed that way they would stay light til fall. And at the end of July I started feeding them layer amd my grandpa gives them and the other birds a half a five gallon pale of high protien calf feed.

6. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Holm....I've never raised BB, but I've always understood they get to big to get off the ground. I only have two heritage hens & they fly like bats!

Ralph...how was camp day? Was it CX only or did the meth boys go to camp too?

Speaking of my two hens...they are still laying. Any thoughts on how long they will continue?

7. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Yall are cracking me up!
    Love all the pics and funny antics!

Holm- my BB can get up on the roost that is 7 feet up. He doesn't really "fly" though. He doesn't even fly over the fence that is only 4' that creates his run.

Ralph- how did camp day go yesterday? Any 25lb chickens?! [​IMG]

R2Elk- your honey sounds delicious! Too bad you can't just snack on it. My mom is also diabetic and she finds eating natural sugars (not processed) don't affect her as badly. Granted, she can't just spoon honey into her mouth all day, but she gets to enjoy a taste of something sweet here and there.
    That -27 weather you had last November we had here too... and we were butchering our fall meat birds. It was the most miserable camp day. While they were resting in the coolers, they started freezing. We had to finish butchering up the meat in our living room and kitchen. Never again will I do fall meaties.

Speaking of camp day, Dinner will be butchered on Wednesday. We have been giving him corn and extra scraps. If he gets much bigger there is no chance he will fit in the oven.
    I would say it is a very distinct possibility that I will be drinking profusely on Wednesday.

We had some chicken drama last week. Amidst all the work we have to get done before winter slams us.
    All the girls had run to the coop because it started to rain.
    We had a visit from a friend and their dog. Their dog pushed through the unlocked gate and sought out the coop and tore the chickens out. Sigh.
    No deaths as of yet, but I am quite worried about one lady. There is something wrong with her neck. She can turn her head and she can eat and drink, but her crop isn't full. She can't extend her neck out like the others and something feels out of place.
    I hope she can adjust and live as a disabled chicken.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    MM I lost 60 birds yesterday all of them died of a neck injury. I hope yours do better. I did not have any big ones, due to my ordering error I had all hens!

I did get some huge breasts off the girls. I am sure there will be 4 servings off each breast.

We had a bad turkey night OOps I have to run will tell you later about it.

9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    MM...I'll be toasting Dinner on Wednesday.

60 birds! Geez Ralph. ..didn't realize you were raising that many.

Can't believe you left us hanging on the turkey drama! !

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Sorry, it has been hectic here, with grandkids, kids. Mom and MIL here. I could not get back to BYC.

In addition to people we have been invaded by Asian Lady Bugs.

Now back to the turkeys.

My Daughter and her husband have yapping terrible little dog just like Toto from the Wizard of Oz. I have a dog kennel behind my coop. Their dog was locked in it during camp day. It had gotten a little on the dark side before I could get to putting the turkeys away.

We tried to get them into the coop. They would not go because it was dark in the coop. Then the stupid dog started barking on the other side of the coop, We had turkeys running and flying everywhere. We finally gave up when we got the majority of the birds in. I think I had a dozen outside over night. One of them went straight up and managed to spend the night 40 ft up in an old oak tree.

I am not describing it well, buy I am in a hurry. I am trading a creamette rooster for a breeding trio of some kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by