A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph how on earth did you end up with all hens?! I suppose I should check in at the B&G so I would know what is going on.

What kind of trio are you getting?! Are you trading one of the roosters you hatched?

Hopefully your turkeys survived the night without any predator attacks. Dang yappy dogs. I cannot stand yappy dogs. Love all other dogs. Not so much with the yappers.

I am pretty certain we are going to have to cull Keadis. She seems to have a neurological issue. I am pretty sure she got nerve damage from the attack that is causing her to lose her balance. She can hardly walk.

On a different note, I got a couple of EE pullets a couple of months back. Turns out, at least one of them is a roo. I will have chicken babies to hatch out next spring along with the turkey babies! Too bad my broody Clyde is no longer with us. Maybe someone else will get the bug.

2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Wait...Ralph. ..just how many turkeys do you have? Hope Penguin wasn't left exposed in a tree all night!

MM...i hear you about small dogs. I can't own anything I can step on & kill or seriously maim.

What a nice day here! Should be cleaning my house but can't seem to make myself go inside!!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    MM I got all hens because I am an idiot. I thought I order straight run, however, when I looked back at the order Isaw I had checked hens....

Can you believe they could send 74 birds to me and not one is a rooster?

Next year I am ordering all roosters and hope to get a few hens.

Memphis I have no idea how many turkeys I have, I should try and count them someday.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I think Penguin was outside. Penguin despite being a cute little guy has turned into a juvenile delinquent. If there is bad behavior he is in the middle of it. If there is a group of turkeys that refuses to go in at night, Penguin is there.

If there is a chicken being harassed by turkeys Penguin is there. Even my DW tonight during Chicken TV time. said,
    " Penguin was a cute baby and a handsome boy, but what an *******."

I assume that word will be **** out.

I counted my turkeys tonight, sort of. I have either 23 or 26. They did not stand real still for me to count. I know I have more turkeys than I have toes and fingers.

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie, how did you talk someone into trading a trio for one rooster? Sounds like you got a deal. What breed is the trio?

I'm sure Penguin is just going through his rotten teenage years! It's all I can do to keep up with my two hens....25 +/- sounds like a full time job!

6. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    I was so excited today - Turkules is starting to grow his beard! His breast feathers have been sticking out funny for a couple of weeks now, and now you can see a bunch of bristles poking out like a little brush lol. I guess it goes with him starting to pick on the chickens - I think he's interested in my ladies (and not in a good way). Sigh, teenage boys...... DH and I started to build another run to separate the turkeys from the chickens, hopefully we'll get it done this week. Then he can behave like a hooligan with the other turkeys and leave the chickens alone! I've kept the little turkeys separate from the chickens so far, but they've run around outside lots with Turkules - so the turkeys will have to figure out how to live together shortly. I suspect that the chickens will be happy about the change in living arrangements :).

I agree with everyone about small yappy dogs *shudder*. The birds all freaked out the last time a small yappy thing came over - ours are all old dogs and they don't bother the birds at all.

Ralph - that is a LOT of birds, I can't imagine that many chickens. I have 5 turkeys and they are a complete handful - can't even imagine having more than 20 turkeys!

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    The turkeys are not a problem, but come spring some will be. A few of the boys have noticed girls, but the girls ignore them. When one boy tries to impress a girl, the other boys try to out do him and they end up in little snood or wattle pulling contests and the girl walks away.

I have no idea which ones I want to keep yet. I am keeping all the girls. I have some beauties, I think. The colors I got from JJ and Ethel are unbelievable. BTW Penguin is not completely black, but he does not look like a bronze either. He is more black than they are (theBBB)

The turkeys wanted to meet the new trio tonight. What a pain they were to keep away from them.

The new trio is or are, I am tired and think I screwed up the verb, speckled Sussex.

She got my best young rooster (creamer), His tail is unbelievable, he is eye candy enough to cause diabetes!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015

I suspect I will have a similar problem on a smaller scale in the spring. I think I have one hen and 3 toms in the baby group, and Turkules is a boy - my ratio is a bit off I think :/ We are starting to have snood and wattle pulling contests among the littles who are only 9 or 10 weeks. May have to see if I can find someone to trade one of my little toms for a hen.

It sounds like you get some awesome babies from Ethel & JJ - it is so neat that they produce so many colors!

I'm betting the new trio wasn't excited to meet the turkeys, despite their enthusiastic curiosity :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Fiesty...wish we lived closer. My two girls would love to adopt one of your boys!
    Ralph...you'll love the Speckled Sussex! I love mine. This is Big Betty.

[​IMG]

10. feistychick

Jul 25, 2015
    Memphis - she is so pretty! I have heard of speckled Sussex but I don't think I've ever seen one - I really love the speckles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by