A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

Yikes - thanks for the heads up on turkey mating - haven't witnessed that yet (and I'd have probably thought they were killing each other) :eek:

2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Ralph - I agree that a calico flock is awesome - that's what I want too! It's so neat to see all the colors. My chickens are all different and I love watching them :) When I add to the turkey flock, it will have to be something that I don't have yet. I'm thinking maybe slate or royal palm.

Memphis - I really wish I lived closer, I have 3 (I think) super-sweet BR toms that like lap-sitting and would probably be great with your girls. I hate the thought of getting rid of any of them, they are such sweet spoiled little guys. But I know that there will be lots of scrapping if I keep them all together. So I'll be trying to find a home for one of them before spring - darn it!

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

We are going on a trip in December, I could always try to sneak a Tom into the back of the van, We are going to make stops in Memphis, Nashville and Montgomery.

I a not sure the DW wanted a Tom with us. but what the hey....

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I have a problem I need help with!

I have 4 peaches left. The weather here has turned nasty, It is still a balmy 44 degrees, but there is a strong cold wet north wind. It is kind of drizzling and I think I saw a few snow flakes. Yesterday was 75 degrees so I am not acclimated yet.

Now the problem, do I use the peaches to make a smoothie, or do I break out the hot chocolate, peppermint schnapps and the cinnamon schnapps to help warm my old body?

5. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Ralph, break out the hot cocoa! Cold weather calls for cold weather beverages!
    And if it warms up again in a couple of days, you will have a couple of peaches for a smoothie still! If the weather continues to be cold, then peach cobbler!
    Also, I can't believe you had ALL HENS with an order that big. I will do straight run again. I had over 70 percent roos this spring.

Speckled Sussex is one of my fave breeds too. We just had to cull Keadis. She was a Speckled. Her sister, Jumper, is the only SS I still have left.
    They have the coolest blues, browns, and whites in their feathers! After Keadis finished her molt this year, her face was totally white! She was really pretty. Poor girl.

I agree with the calico flock! I like looking out and seeing all the pretty feathers and funny personalities of everyone.

I have a turkey processing question. How do yall do it?! With the chickens, we either put them in the "cone" or in a feed bag with the corner cut out. I'm not sure we can wrestle Dinner into either. At least not in a calm manner so we don't destroy the meat.
    What is the best method?

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am going to do like the little Asian Mafia lady did. Put them in a bag with a hole for their head. Pull the head out and whack it off. fast and effective. I think I will have a rope on the bag and a
    motor lift type tripod there to pull them into the air with.

7. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    MM...sorry you lost one of your SS. It's definitely my favorite breed. So personable. And so pretty. My Big Betty is my head gardener. And big moma to every little pullet I've added over the years. She shows them all the ropes & keeps them all in line.

Ralphie! ! Come on down south of the Mason Dixon ! We can hit some joints for a little real deal Blues. And don't forget Memphis is the home of the International World Championship BBQ Contest! BBQ & music on every corner. And don't forget...ELVIS! It rocks down here!

I might think about a tom. A "calico"? I have the Slate & Bourbon Red. ..it could get really colorful around here! Do you have any lap toms? Or are they all delinquents?

Saw you guys talking about cool weather. It's almost 6:30 here and still 86 degrees. Even with it this warm Daisy still hops up for lap time. She's got me trained I guess. She's gotten to the point of laying on her side with her legs staight out. Head on my arm. I just pet her...her eyes close & you can feel her whole body relax. Funny bird.

8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    I don't remember who said it but I will definitely post pictures of my new tom when he arrives and again once he's met the ladies ;) He's due to arrive later in the evening on November 2 along with a quad of CCL (creamette) chicks via the chicken train :) I can't wait!

So, my turkeys got themselves grounded for today (aka lost free range). They LOVE people which us fine and dandy but not when they keep trying to invade the neighbor's garage lol. They stay in the yard unusually with no problem, especially if we're outside with them but if we go in asks they hear someone outside somewhere, they go to visit. The one neighbor's place is fine. Most of them are hunters and keep joking that they're going to practice their turkey calls on them (which is fine as long as they don't shoot them!). They're also just part time neighbors that share a hunting cabin. My other neighbor though is full time and is often outside with his garage doors open, doing stuff inside. Now, he hasn't said anything about minding them at all but I feel bad about my troop of invaders. Yesterday was their second offense (that I know of) so today they were grounded. I decided to try to give them something to do while penned up so I built them a swing out of a broken shovel handle and some clothesline. You know, all cage birds love them! .... I think all I did was scare them lol. I did put Eve on it once and she ballanced awkwardly for a minute then jumped down, sent the swing flying, and making everyone else panic! Has anyone else tried building a swing?

1 person likes this.
  9. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I have to keep an eye on mine too. The Bourbon Red hasn't wandered off but Daisy has jumped into the neighbors yard a few times. She only does that when she wants to lay an egg. But now she is using her nest box so maybe she won't do that again. Now she just jumps over the gate & comes to the back door when I go inside. :rolleyes:

That would be funny ....working on something in your garage & a herd of turkeys wander in! :lol:

The turkey swing sounds interesting. I've seen chicken swings. Keep us posted on it.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    MM Where are you? Did you put too much Mike's in your peaches?

Why have you not called me about the jacket I am selling? I need the money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by