1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

They are afraid of nothing, and love to be directly underfoot. Apparently if they get in the way, we'll sit down, and then they have laps to sit on....sigh. Good thing they're cute, they are definitely impeding project progress lol.

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

3. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Hey Ralph, that's a nice coat you found! I sure hope the owner fesses up to being so careless and pays the fines!

Well, today is the day. Dinner is outside gobbling, I am pretending not to be sad while I drink my coffee.

I think I will drown my sorrows in purchasing more chickens.

4. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    MM...I'll toast Dinner this evening. Sigh....

It will be a tough day. My favorite saying.."Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you more chickens ".

1 person likes this.
  5. duluthralphie

I am hoping you are adding a little liquid courage to your coffee.

Good luck on the day, my camp day was the best ever, I had lots of help and the kids (son, SIL and neighbor) did all the head removal for me. That is the most emotional part for me. Of course, I did give them strict orders on how to handle the birds right up to the end.

BTW because of the stigmatism associated to drinking before noon. I changed all our clocks to London time and instituted a farm wide owners decree moving us to London time zone.

6. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

Good luck today with Dinner. I know it's going to be hard. My tough day won't be until about a week before thanksgiving and I know it's going to be so hard to handle :/

7. duluthralphie

Here are my speckled Sussex. I took the pictures through the wire and with shade/sun problem so I did lighten the pictures enough to see the birds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can seethe one hen is very curious..

1 person likes this.
  8. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    They are beautiful Ralph!

So here is the news of the day:

Dinner has been pardoned... until Friday.
    I am currently on a very serious mission to kill a new fox we have. He came in the yard while I took the kids to school and got Tomahawk. I am currently so mad, there is smoke coming out of my ears. You can bet it is likely one of the pups from the litter this summer that the original fox was teaching to hunt in our yard. Guess who is not going to live very much longer?

Banshee is outside the door crying. I found a farm not too far from here that has some turkeys hatched this spring. I'm off to get a look alike so I don't have to deal with my daughters tears. Dealing with my own tears was enough for the day.

9. duluthralphie

MM Tomahawk is gone!!!!

NO. I understand and feel your anger, I hope that fox suffers a long and agonizing death soon!

As for the plan to get a look alike. Good luck, I could not even pull off a look alike goldfish let alone a turkey. So much of a turkey is personality and not luck.

Maybe it is time to teach her the value of Vodka. Is she over 7? I think it is legal in Colorado then if used for medicinal purposes.

Again, I am truly sorry.

10. mountain mom

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Thanks Ralph.

So my DH told me trying to trick her would never work and only make things worse. Tomahawk and my daughter were pals. She would know.
    Since I'm pretty sure CPS would be contacted (even if for medicating a broken heart) in the event I give my 9 year old vodka, I am going to take her with me to pick out another hen after school.

I am heartbroken listening to Banshee cry for her. I went out back and he hopped on my lap and snuggled in. Every couple of minutes he would pop his head up and call her.
    I hope he is easily distracted with a new love interest.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by