A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Do turkey's eat acorns? They and the chickens do eat the pecans in their yard. I have a bumper crop of acorns out front and was thinking of throwing a bunch in their yard.

2. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Ralphie....send pictures of your new Speckled Sussex trio!

And pictures of your calico turkeys!!

Please......

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I will try to get some of the chickens,

by Calico turkeys I meant the flock as a whole, I have so many different colors and shades, thanks to JJ and Ethel being the rusty slates. Did you see the list R2elk posted of every possible offspring they can have? it was like 50 colors long! (I might have exaggerated that a bit.)

4. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    I know that the wild turkeys back east eat acorns. My oak trees are too small and not productive enough for me to know if my turkeys will eat them. They do eat my wild plums and the seeds are passing through whole. You could try tossing a few in and see what they do with them. I think if you took a hammer and smashed some that it would make them less of a choking hazard.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    My turkeys graze under the oak trees for a few hours every day. A little over an hour when I let them out and then this time of day. They are grazing under them right now. I have so many oaks trying to keep them from acorns would be futile.

6. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    We always have tons of acorns out front under our oak trees. I've seen them out there here and there but never really paid any attention to if they were eating them or not. I'm going to have to watch now.

7. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Let the flock follow me out to the driveway that's full of acorns. I just stomp on them to break them open. I know the chickens love them. As soon as the turkeys saw the chickens eating them they turned into a couple of acorn vacuums! ****** the chickens off!

8. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Here is another pic of Betty. Ralphie. ..wanna see your new birds.

[​IMG]

9. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast
    Well Turkules has impressed me yet again - the world's most tolerant turkey. Goldie is alway pulling on his feathers when he puffs up and today she discovered his little brush of a new beard. She spent about 5 minutes pulling on his beard and he just stood there with a "what on earth are you doing" look on his face. He eventually just walked away when he'd had enough.... Poor guy, I'm surprised he didn't peck her :p
    [​IMG]
    And looking good
    [​IMG]
    We had all the help we could use outside today :rolleyes: Curious doesn't even begin to describe what they get into.... and how much they like to "help"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Turkules! Love the look on his face. What a guy! And the babies are too cute. Pesty little darlings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by