A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I am sure given time Banshee will do fine. I am glad to hear your DH and I are on the same page with parenting advice.

Banshee will grow to like the new hen right now he is lonely. The problem with turkeys is their brains are not very big but they have huge hearts, so they think with their hearts.

1 person likes this.
  2. feistychick

feistychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2015
    Northern Washington coast

MM - I'm so sorry about Tomahawk :( I hope you catch the culprit soon, please put a few holes in the offender!! I hope Banshee and your daughter become friends with the new hen. I'm new to this and learned this year how hard it is when you lose a bird - they are all unique and so much fun to be around, you do miss them.

3. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I'm so, so, sorry to hear about this :( I know what is like to try to explain a loss like this to the kids. And it's heartbreaking to see them mourn (the kids and the other animals)

4. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Poor Banshee...and your daughter. That's heartbreaking. Ralph is right....turkeys have big hearts. Lucky you can find a new friend for him so quick. I know it won't replace Tomahawk....but Banshee will fall in love with her. I hope your daughter does too.

Ralph....love the SS pictures! Curiosity....a trait of this breed. She's so cute! I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

5. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    My Bourbon Red's beard is GONE! No idea what happened. Guess Daisy could have pulled it out or maybe Annie chewed it off herself. Didn't get a chance to see if it's laying in the pen somewhere. Any thoughts on if it will grow back??

6. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone!
    Sorry to be a drive by poster lately, but I've been busy. Mom passed a few weeks ago, had her service this past Saturday. Cancer sucks.

Glad to see everyone is doing well except for Ralph's 60. Cheers to those we've loved and lost!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. charmedbaker

charmedbaker Chillin' With My Peeps

I do have a few questions about things... My boy Charlie is developing in to a fine looking Tom. Will he be aggressive and randy after my chickens all year or does winter time curb his appetite? I need to find him a new forever home because he is hurting the girls. We are pretty sure now he was the one to injure Chacha. She used to be top of the order, now she runs and hides from him.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  8. memphis

memphis Chicken Obsessed

Aug 6, 2012
    Charmed. ..sorry about your mom. I went through that a couple of years ago. It's tough.:hugs

Have no advice about Charlie. I've never had a tom. Maybe he's just going through that randy teenage stage. Or maybe he needs his own girlfriend.

1 person likes this.
  9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Maybe it is because I have lots of Toms , but the Toms play foolish Tom games most the day. Chasing each other, pulling snoods, wattles and so on. Maybe the answer is another Tom. JJ and Sidekick were going at it hard tonight. They wanted to let the Sussex rooster know who was boss. Of Course , the Sussex is in a cage type pen so the Toms could not get to him. JJ on one side, Sidekick across from JJ. Sidekick must have been acting too aggressive and JJ interpreted the act as Sidekick trying to dominate JJ.

So the fight was on. Circle after circle as JJ tried to Catch Sidekick. It looked like such a fun game my lab (Pearl) decided she wanted in on it. She went down on her front paws tail wagging and she was wiggling with excitement to play. She gave a yip.that was saying let me in, and the game ended both turkeys jumped away and gave her wide berth.

10. R2elk

R2elk Chicken Obsessed

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Last year my tom had a beautiful beard right up to the time that the hens ate it. They would stand right in front of him and it looked like they were cleaning his beard. Everyday it got shorter until it was just a little nub. It is just now starting to grow out and he has been kept away from the hens all summer.

Hers can grow back but if the other hen or the chickens are eating it, it will take a very long time and may never get back to its full glory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by