A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I think my 2 boys have started to notice the girls too. They've started displaying a lot and trying to outdo each other around the girls. The girls all either ignore them or occasionally join in to prove they're tough too lol. All this is getting thrown out of whack soon. On Halloween weekend, I'm getting a Bourbon red Tom to go with my girls. Things might be a little complicated for a month until the two slate boys make their way to the freezer. But then again, 2-3 weeks of quarantine then a week in a crate in the coop for introductions, the boys may never even meet each other or have time to argue.

Last edited:
I really like the Speckled Sussex. Easy, curious, smart, great foragers. Their spots change after each molt. I have a laid back group of hens. Double Laced Barnevelders, Australorps, and the Speckled Sussex. They are an easy group. No jerks or bullies. Betty is 6 years old and still laying about 3-4 eggs a week.

Aurora...is this a mature BR tom? How many girls do you have? I remember the pics of you in the hammock.

So I don't have a rooster. And I have only the two turkey hens. Keep trying to decide if I want a tom. I would love to have one but everything is pretty easy with the girls now.

Memphis - she is so pretty! I have heard of speckled Sussex but I don't think I've ever seen one - I really love the speckles.

While the picture is great, it does not do justice to the Speckled Sussex, they have so many under tones and sheens on them, While I hated giving up my best creamer (creamette) rooster getting these three is super. I am so happy to have a new breed to raise in the spring.

Aussiegal warned me when we made the trade that the Sussex rooster is a serial rapist and will need a few more hens, I have dealt with them(serial rapist) before though. It just means some of my girls will be free of feathers on their backs again next year. I will give him a few more girls, Maybe Bert Jr's Mother and aunts.

I really like the Speckled Sussex. Easy, curious, smart, great foragers. Their spots change after each molt. I have a laid back group of hens. Double Laced Barnevelders, Australorps, and the Speckled Sussex. They are an easy group. No jerks or bullies. Betty is 6 years old and still laying about 3-4 eggs a week.

Aurora...is this a mature BR tom? How many girls do you have? I remember the pics of you in the hammock.

So I don't have a rooster. And I have only the two turkey hens. Keep trying to decide if I want a tom. I would love to have one but everything is pretty easy with the girls now.

One Tom would not be a problem unless you have neighbors that do not like the gobble, However turkeys only seem to gobble during the day and not real early in the morning like a rooster does.

My Speckled Sussex rooster was very "active " during his teenage years but then settled down. He was a nice guy. Unfortunately I lost him a few years ago & still miss him.

Your right Ralph. They are beautiful birds. I think they are my favorite breed.

I would love to have a tom. But with only two girls I was concerned he would bug them too much.

The one that was in the hammock turned out to be a girl. Now that I know for sure what everyone is, I have 6 girls total. 4 Bourbon reds, one bronze mix, and 1 eastern wild mix. The BR tom I'm getting is roughly the same age as the girls. He was hatched in march I believe.

My Speckled Sussex rooster was very "active " during his teenage years but then settled down. He was a nice guy. Unfortunately I lost him a few years ago & still miss him.

Your right Ralph. They are beautiful birds. I think they are my favorite breed.

I would love to have a tom. But with only two girls I was concerned he would bug them too much.

When I first got birds, I got JJ and two hens. I never had a problem with it. Myrtle died within a month of getting her I got them from a place that was not healthy for birds it is amazing any lived. JJ never bothered the hens too much and even when it was just JJ and Ethel he never over did it. This spring I have 3 hens with Sidekick and just Ethel with JJ and everything was fine. I never lost any feathers from the girls backs.

However, watching turkeys mate is NOT for the faint of heart it is a little rough, I think turkeys are into bondage, S&M or something like that. I feel so sorry for the hens whenever I see it happen.

Aurora....your going to make that tom very happy! Of course we need pictures!

Ralph...I'd love to see pictures of your SS. How old are they?

Thanks for the info on the toms Ralphie. I may consider one this spring. I've always wanted one! I'm just used to over sexed roosters! Sounds like turkeys are different.

What breed is JJ & Ethel? I have that Bourbon Red hen with a beard. Wonder if she would pass on that trait to her daughters.

I think JJ and Ethel are rusty slates. Earlier R2Elk listed the possible offspring from their mating, it was amazing how many they can have and how many they did have. I feel so bad I lost Ethels 5 babies she raised, they were all different colors. Next year I will be mating JJ to his daughters I think I to see what I get. I have a red and a reddish one besides the rusty slates.

I do not know colors as well as Silkie or R2elk, (heck I have no idea about them) but I love my calico flock.

I hope to get the NPIP stuff done for next year so I can have a bigger market for babies. I have no idea if anyone else wants a calico flock, but I love it. I still love my self blue and blues but the others are more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom