A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It's 8 here...8! I'm not even believing this. We got around 3" of snow yesterday. Schools are still closed. We got our first round of ice/sleet/snow last Friday. And here six days later it's still here. I've NEVER seen crunchy snow stick around this long. I'm freaked out!

Lol, same thing we have here in PA! It's 8° and we got a few more inches yesterday. My daughter was mad that they didn't even get a 2 hour delay today lol

I was going to go with hatching eggs and hand raise them if all goes as planned. I'm hoping that doing that, plus raising them with turkeys will help. Did your "Sweet Pea" end up being sweet?
Sweet Pea is not friendly, but not terrified of me either. Definitely not like the 2 tamest turkey hens, but like the other turkeys.
I find peafowl eggs quite challenging to hatch in my cabinet incubators. If you can start them under a reliable hen and bring them into the incubator after 2 weeks, that is supposed to work much better. That is what the largest pea breeder does. Also, shipping them is rough on them, as on all eggs, so try to find a local place. My uncle is within driving distance of you and would probably sell you some eggs, maybe even some that are partially incubated by a peahen.

Grandfather and grandson on show. They are pretty active on mating this days bcs of the uncommon hot winter.
26972746_10215938857012582_404731784_o.jpg

my husband is telling me i have to get rid of my turkeys, they keep getting up on the boat and poking holes into the shrinkwrap

:oops:

he is planning on keeping the boat in the same place over the supper but at that point it wont be wrapped

do you guys think clipping wings will keep them down?

my husband is telling me i have to get rid of my turkeys, they keep getting up on the boat and poking holes into the shrinkwrap

he is planning on keeping the boat in the same place over the supper but at that point it wont be wrapped

how old are the turkeys? my tom and the heaviest jake can't fly

You do realize that a turkey with a clipped wing can still easily jump up 5 to 6 feet. Turkeys can be taught to keep off of things but you have to be persistent about it. It also helps to provide them with a more attractive place to spend their time.

Of course he could put a heavy tarp over the boat after he shrink wraps it.

Tell him to move the boat!

Sweet Pea is not friendly, but not terrified of me either. Definitely not like the 2 tamest turkey hens, but like the other turkeys.
I find peafowl eggs quite challenging to hatch in my cabinet incubators. If you can start them under a reliable hen and bring them into the incubator after 2 weeks, that is supposed to work much better. That is what the largest pea breeder does. Also, shipping them is rough on them, as on all eggs, so try to find a local place. My uncle is within driving distance of you and would probably sell you some eggs, maybe even some that are partially incubated by a peahen.

Where is he located? Is he the guy in Snow Shoe? I've been talking to a guy in Snow Shoe who is a little over an hour from me. Now I'm curious if he's your uncle lol

We have a whole slew of nope birds here today. :lau. Right now it is bout seven inches and still goin strong.

View attachment 1238873 View attachment 1238874 View attachment 1238875

Ew! You can keep it there! I'm glad it stopped snowing here. The trees are VERY pretty right now but it's SO cold! I didn't let anyone out today and I just took them all a bunch of corn to snack on lol.

Turkeys are relentless! I doubt that would help much.

Of course he could put a heavy tarp over the boat after he shrink wraps it.

X2!

Where is he located? Is he the guy in Snow Shoe? I've been talking to a guy in Snow Shoe who is a little over an hour from me. Now I'm curious if he's your uncle lol
His farm is about a mile from where we meet in August. If you can find someone local to sell you some eggs when you have a broody hen, that would be ideal. Otherwise, I would suggest you consider buying peachicks. Any eggs that are cheap are suspect, IMO. I generally see eggs for $10 or more, and sometimes see peachicks for $20 or $25, which is really not a bad price. I often get $12 for a turkey poult, and the turkeys easily produce 10 or 20 times the number of babies as the peas. I often get over 50% of my turkey eggs to hatch, but I think it is more like 10% with the peas. Obviously, I need to change up something with how I'm managing the peas. They are pets first and I'm not trying to get them to "pay their way", so I've been a bit lax on nestboxes and such.

Back
Top Bottom