A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Sounds like a good day Aurora. Especially the Cracker Barrel part...LOL!

Still cooler than normal here. But the birds are enjoying it. Found Daisy sitting in one of my holly trees. Not sure how she got up there. It's really dense. Lots of branches. She was poking her head out trilling at me. Seemed rather proud of herself. Wish I had my camera. Sort of funny looking.

I took a couple quick pictures of the baby last night. She's getting big! They're not very good since she's so uncooperative. I'm still not sure what she's going to grow up to look like lol. Maybe something similar to Lil bit not quite? I think she's only semi penciled but again, not sure lol

IMG_20181017_204544.jpg
IMG_20181017_204930.jpg

It's funny how all the young turkeys always love the swing. Then they seem to grow in to the roost lol

She is getting big Aurora! It will be fun to see what she ends looking like!

R2elk....that blue Slate's beard is impressive! Daisy chewed Annie's off. Annoying bird!
There isn't anything funnier than a one feathered turkey tail? I think not! Those palms are stunning! Even with one tail feather.
Got home, Daisy was sitting on my back porch rail. Guess she flew over the fence. She was just preening away. Poor Annie was pacing the fence line. No idea what made Daisy head to the house. She never explains herself!

Beautiful bunch of turkeys Molpet. Between y'all, mine are so boring!

Killed a opossum tonight. Heard coonhound screaming in the yard. There he was, spread eagle on my wood privacy fence, head thrown back screaming his lungs out. ( neighbors love us!) Big ears just waving in the wind. Had a opossum frozen on top of the fence. I got a broom & wacked him (not the hound, the opossum) in the head. Thought he'd fall on the other side of the fence. Nope. Landed at coonhounds feet. (I'm sure hound thought a miracle had just occurred!) Hound didn't hesitate, broke his neck immediately. Let him shake it a few minutes. Then wrestled it away & disposed of the body. I think I concussed it and it may have been knocked out or even dead. I teed off on it. Young coonhound is all amped up. Walking on tip toes! So weird how this dog is the sweetest, gentlest, lazy-ish guy until it comes to hunting. Just love hearing to his voice. Its like music. Sure the neighbors aren't as appreciative. So, one more potential fowl predator down!

Ok so i can talk bout this now and not go into a raving lunatic rant....

You all know we grew rangers for our church’s fall festival.... welp. All was great! We grew and butchered them and had them in the cooler and all was fine for four days. Then the storm hit. Crazy winds and power blinked a few times. Up until then birds were fine. Evidentally it did more than blink in the night cause we woke to a warm cooler, breaker blown and 76 STINKIN birds. Omg! Our hearts fell out of our chests. Most every bird was bad smellin so in a hole with lime they all went. I cried and cried and ranted. Paul just ranted and threw things. Three months of care and feed and movin these birds for somethin so useless to happen. We were defeated!

We have an AMAZING local mom n pop butcher shop that one of our friends is friends with the owners.... they had already gotten their chicken order for friday but they drove an hour and half mid day and picked up 75 more birds for us, cut them up and had them at church early saturday mornin for fryin..... for the price they paid for all those bird only! I took beer brownies by yesterday for them and thanked the owner again from paul and i.

The pastor had come on butcherin day and all he kept fussin over was liability.... well the first thing out of most of our mouths when we found bad birds was well he doesn’t need worry bout liability anymore. :/.

But omg! How a miserable thing can be made somewhat better by a wonderful small family and their generosity! It has been a long time since i have been part of such a wonderful thing. People now a days only think about themselves it seems.... things like this renew our hearts and faith in humans.

We also took one of the tom turks up for the auction friday night. He brought $150 in it and we will butcher him when we do ours for thanksgiving... the most odd part of that..... the preacher is who won him. Lol!i guess what he saw in butcherin day didnt scare him so very much if he is willing to let his family partake of the bird.

Sfgwife....so sorry all that happened with the chickens.

It was 44 this morning. We even had a slight wind chill! Yeeks!

The flock sure loves the cooler weather. Daisy flew the length of the yard again this morning. Happy bird. She was also buzzing me as I was cleaning up the yard. I started chasing her. Or I'd run flapping my arms & she'd fly after me. Just praying the neighbors didn't notice. But heck....they play with their dogs! I can play with my turkey! I can tell she's over the worst of her molt & is feeling much better. Annie....not so much. She's a couple weeks behind Daisy. Still grumpy. Several of my chickens are still molting. One Sussex hasn't even started.
So glad to have my happy, goofy Daisy bird back! She can be so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom