A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    You must have a much heavier version of deer fence available than what I can find here. I use the stuff to keep songbirds away from fruit I want to be able to harvest. I have seen a bunny go right through it as well as a turkey hen. The stuff that I have access to tears very easily. The only deterrent it would be to an owl is if the owl got entangled in it. It did work well as a snake trap. A bull snake crawled up into a twisted up section until it got stuck and could not go forward or back out.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. Bantambird

Bantambird Crowing

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    Indeed, it was like construction fence only not construction orange.

3. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Crowing

Mar 26, 2012
    Near Cumberland, MD
    Thank you, R2elk!

I think they have had sufficient time now to settle and certainly to warm up. Outside temp today is currently 85 plus and the room the eggs are in is probably about 79 (was cooler this morning on the East Coast). Since my "special" incubator has not yet arrived (by Thursday), I am going to just lay them on their sides in the still air incubator and take the time to turn them. The new one has an egg turner, but not sure if I will use it yet (comments welcomed!)

Part of the confusion for me is that I have never pre-candled eggs before incubation and had mostly Never candled eggs during the incubation period. Ever. Partly old school and maybe a tad bit of ignorance for that. lol. Still, I have had great hatches for the most part. Of course, most of those eggs were my own or very local - not shipped from PA, NC, or ME like I have done more recently.

When I did candle these yesterday evening, I only picked up each one once, used the candler, detected nothing outstanding, did so gently and put them back in the egg crate.

Your comments and advice are greatly appreciated! :bow

4. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Crowing

Mar 26, 2012
    Near Cumberland, MD
    I think I have about an acre and a half total. I do not kill weeds other than by mowing when it gets close to a foot high (and this year with all the rain, it does not take long to have "hay fields"). Nor do I weed-whack the fence lines except where necessary (like needed to get out of the driveway).

Besides, the birds eat so much of it while foraging and I like the "free food" for them. I also have a 30 x 50 garden area fenced off, but they are allowed in there at appropriate times. My pond is a 15 x 15 x 5 foot deep goldfish pond, but it is and has been self-sustaining since 2000. I do not feed the fish, I clean it out periodically (esp in the fall), and have tons of American toads, tree frogs, and bullfrogs. One year, I even had freshwater jellyfish that were at max about an inch long. That was NICE! (and weird) It has "corners" where water iris and other plants grow - but I have seen the chickens out in the middle of it sitting on the lilypads. Yes, chickens can swim. :celebrate

Btw, my run is parallel to a small woods area, part of which is mine - so there is ample shade from oak (acorns) and hickory (nuts), plus I have planted lilacs, yucca, and other plants. There is a smallish (10') mimosa and a mulberry tree on the inside run/yard fence line. There is also a separate old (my original) chicken house made out of wood and fenced with dog kennel panels and covered with a mix of chicken netting and hardware cloth. The roof of that one is hardware cloth totally covered in fox grapes. Completely shaded inside now. The area is approx 12 x 20 I guess.

5. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Crowing

Mar 26, 2012
    Near Cumberland, MD
    That's why I haven't decided on what my roof cover will be. Parts of my original run are covered in 1-inch chicken netting. I have been trying to decide whether to use that over this big run or to use some sort of netting. That said, I do want it to last as long as possible.

I know I have eagles, hawks, crows, ravens, owls, and assorted other birds. I also have possum, raccoons, fox, bobcat, cougars, bears - and apparently the fisher cat is back. I am trying to be as protective of the birds as I can, but I also realize there may not be any stopping of some of these critters if they are intent on making an entrance.

6. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Unless there is an off odor coming from the incubator, the only time that I candle is to weed out infertile, early deaths, etc. at the time I am taking the eggs from the incubator and putting them into the hatcher.

There is nothing wrong with candling at other times although I don't see much point in candling 28 day eggs before day 10.

7. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Crowing

Mar 26, 2012
    Near Cumberland, MD
    lol Memphis - Does Daisy taste good when you lick her? (I knew you meant pick).

All my birds have access to the big shed and partly to the older one. The older shed is just a box built on top of a 4 x 8' metal frame with a coop ramp, slanted roof, and 3 rows of roosting bars, fronted with a raised door that I can shut. It has 3 nesting boxes in it that the ducks are more apt to use now.

My big shed is approx 20 x 20 - with 3 rooms and a tin roof. The front wall is actually double-walled with the outside boards running vertically and the inside horizontally. REALLY helps when we get the big winds here. The back side of the shed has an added 10-12 foot section with a roof and covered on two sides. Where the extension is, there is a wall with a door at the front of that part with a door covered entirely with hardware cloth, a dog kennel panel on one side and an open hardware cloth area on the other. The last side is the part that is the actual shed with a doorway. Hope that makes sense.

OH, and I forgot to add in the fact (duh and I fought two years to get it there) that I added a pretty large camper (about 17 feet long) to the back fence of the new run. This is supposed to be my turkey house - unless I change my mind and use for the chickens instead. The turkeys might be more comfortable inside the wooden shed. However, once the run top is covered - the turkeys can stay outside if they want to. I have already had a tree cut down and I am planning on "mounting" it in such a way that they can roost in/on it.

8. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Depending on how much you want to spend, the 2" heavy duty knotted netting should do very well and last a very long time.

Unfortunately I used the non knotted type and after 30+ years it is in need of repairs.

9. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Nope, she meant lock up.

10. Flashpoint

Flashpoint Crowing

Mar 26, 2012
    Near Cumberland, MD
    I'm 68. I hope to live to be (OR LONGER) 101 like my granny. :old

Will check out the knotted netting, R2elk - thank you. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: