A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

We had weather like that a couple nights ago, Memphis. I woke up this morning to nearly two inches of snow covering the ground... the turkeys weren't quite sure what to make of it, since this is their first experience with the fluffy stuff.

Does anyone know if it's safe to give turkeys oregano oil? A few of mine are still weak from a recent case of mushroom poisoning, and the weather is only putting more stress on them.

I use oregano oil in all the water my birds drink. 1 drop per gallon.

I would also feed them some plain yogurt and some scrambled eggs in the morning. Just to help boost them.
Edited to add: some baby vitamins (polyvisol) can't hurt either.

Last edited:
Aurora I'm not sure how much work I'd get done. I'd be too busy watch Adam trying to chase down the girls and LMAO! :lau. That poor boy is going to wear himself out!

MM...what does the oregano do? Never heard of that. Sounds interesting.

That's interesting. I don't know much about Royal Palms. Is your tom mean? Did you breed him? I know the Bourbon Red and Slate toms can be quite sweet. I told Ralph he ought to borrow him to breed to Ethel. ...just to get even more colors....since he is so colorful. LOL. Will you be using him in your breeding program? What hens do you have?

He is nice. Except to the people that teased him. He knows who they are!! I didnt breed him I bout him from a breeder that sells these every spring.

Last edited:
OMG poor Adam! Didn't realize they could even swallow a snood. And he's eating in full strut! He must be exhausted by the end of the day.

Get a Royal Palm Fiesty!

I would bet I could get Daisy to use a harness. She'd be a great therapy turkey. But she would probably clear the room if she pooped! :lol:

My cross tom has a harness and a sweater.

Seriously Holm...you have a turkey that wears a harness & a sweater? Oh PLEASE post pictures! ! What kind of harness do you use? One made specifically for a turkey?

We had weather like that a couple nights ago, Memphis. I woke up this morning to nearly two inches of snow covering the ground... the turkeys weren't quite sure what to make of it, since this is their first experience with the fluffy stuff.

Does anyone know if it's safe to give turkeys oregano oil? A few of mine are still weak from a recent case of mushroom poisoning, and the weather is only putting more stress on them.

Welcome to the thread..

Sorry, I have no idea, I never use that stuff.

We could have snow if this rain keeps up it is heading for the deep freeze here.

I wish I had seen a video of the turkey swallowing his snood.

That would be priceless..

I worry JJ will peck his the way it dangles while he eats. But he is not much of an eater when I am around, He will peck something now and then but spends mosy of his time strutting..

We have 50 degree and cold rain right now, but it is headed to the 20's tonight. I was gone doing Grandpa daycare for the last 36 hours. So I could not put the birds away.

My DW ended up working late, but she got all but 2 into the coop. BUT the stupid things went out the door to the covered run and are sitting outside in the rain soaked, How stupid must a turkey be to leave a dry coop?

I hope they all make it through the night. The 2 that did not go inside our sitting 20 feet in the air on the peak of the house. I will let you guess which two they are.

Penguin could not use the GPS. He would need someone to turn it on and say this way or that way, He does not know right or left. I am thinking of buying him a greyhound ticket.

Wind has been bad all day here. Lots of power lines down. Storms just crossing the Mississippi river. We may get over 4 inches. It's almost hot here....mid 70's. Ripe for tornadoes. Gonna be a long night. Hope you don't get too much snow Ralph.

MM says she uses oregano oil in their water. I'm curious about it.

Memphis, oregano oil has anti viral and anti bacterial properties. Helps keep the flock from getting sick.

That said, I have something odd in my flock. Never had any problems until the darn fox. Obviously he ate most of the birds.
Since then, we have hens dying for no reason. I got the lice, no deaths from them. But hens just dying.
I have a bird in the hospital tonight because it was limping this morning, now won't walk. Leg works, not paralyzed, but won't use it. I have no idea. I don't think mareks.
No clue.

Back
Top Bottom