A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by duluthralphie, Apr 5, 2015.

1. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    I use oregano oil in all the water my birds drink. 1 drop per gallon.

I would also feed them some plain yogurt and some scrambled eggs in the morning. Just to help boost them.
    Edited to add: some baby vitamins (polyvisol) can't hurt either.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  2. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Aurora I'm not sure how much work I'd get done. I'd be too busy watch Adam trying to chase down the girls and LMAO! :lau. That poor boy is going to wear himself out!

MM...what does the oregano do? Never heard of that. Sounds interesting.

3. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

He is nice. Except to the people that teased him. He knows who they are!! I didnt breed him I bout him from a breeder that sells these every spring.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN

My cross tom has a harness and a sweater.

5. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Seriously Holm...you have a turkey that wears a harness & a sweater? Oh PLEASE post pictures! ! What kind of harness do you use? One made specifically for a turkey?

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

Welcome to the thread..

Sorry, I have no idea, I never use that stuff.

We could have snow if this rain keeps up it is heading for the deep freeze here.

7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I could only imagine trying to put any of mine on a harness lol

8. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I wish I had seen a video of the turkey swallowing his snood.

That would be priceless..

I worry JJ will peck his the way it dangles while he eats. But he is not much of an eater when I am around, He will peck something now and then but spends mosy of his time strutting..

We have 50 degree and cold rain right now, but it is headed to the 20's tonight. I was gone doing Grandpa daycare for the last 36 hours. So I could not put the birds away.

My DW ended up working late, but she got all but 2 into the coop. BUT the stupid things went out the door to the covered run and are sitting outside in the rain soaked, How stupid must a turkey be to leave a dry coop?

I hope they all make it through the night. The 2 that did not go inside our sitting 20 feet in the air on the peak of the house. I will let you guess which two they are.

Penguin could not use the GPS. He would need someone to turn it on and say this way or that way, He does not know right or left. I am thinking of buying him a greyhound ticket.

9. memphis

Aug 6, 2012
    Wind has been bad all day here. Lots of power lines down. Storms just crossing the Mississippi river. We may get over 4 inches. It's almost hot here....mid 70's. Ripe for tornadoes. Gonna be a long night. Hope you don't get too much snow Ralph.

MM says she uses oregano oil in their water. I'm curious about it.

10. mountain mom

mountain mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    Colorado
    Memphis, oregano oil has anti viral and anti bacterial properties. Helps keep the flock from getting sick.

That said, I have something odd in my flock. Never had any problems until the darn fox. Obviously he ate most of the birds.
    Since then, we have hens dying for no reason. I got the lice, no deaths from them. But hens just dying.
    I have a bird in the hospital tonight because it was limping this morning, now won't walk. Leg works, not paralyzed, but won't use it. I have no idea. I don't think mareks.
    No clue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by