A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

And another question R2elk, I am looking at the herpstat 1 and 2. It says it controls humidity. How does it do this?

Is there another "add on" I need to buy?

Can you tell how excited I am over my NEW incubator?

Too much money Holm. You need a deal like I got!

How many hens can a Tom service? I do not want bad eggs. I am trying to figure out breeding plans. I want JJ to be the man, but Sidekick would be happy if I gave him a girl or two..

I could leave jj and sidekick in with the 11 hens but that could result in some problems too, I am not sure. JJ and sidekick get along so well it might not.

Too much money Holm.  You need a deal like I got! 

How many hens can a Tom service? I do not want bad eggs. I am trying to figure out breeding plans.  I want JJ to be the man, but Sidekick would be happy if I gave him a girl or two..

I could leave jj and sidekick in with the 11 hens but that could result in some problems too, I am not sure. JJ and sidekick get along so well it might not.

In my Storeys guide to raising turkeys it says 12 hens per tom.

Another good idea..

I have a question, I feel we are picking your brain and giving you nothing back.

I was looking at egg trays on ebay. I found some that are 12 7/8 inches. They do not fit in the "metal" trays. But when I measure the rails inside the incubator it appears they would slip inside if I do not use the metal trays. Can I do this? are the plastic egg trays strong enough to sit across the open span?

Some of the egg trays I got were a little too wide to fit two of them in the tray so I ran them through the table saw and made them fit. I would not recommend leaving the metal trays out. If the plastic trays have any slippage at all they could easily cause the turner to bind as it turns back and forth.

And another question R2elk, I am looking at the herpstat 1 and 2. It says it controls humidity. How does it do this?

Is there another "add on" I need to buy?

Can you tell how excited I am over my NEW incubator?

It doesn't control humidity. There is a second probe so that it can measure humidity. On the Herpstat 1, even if you get both probes you can only read one at a time. You have to have the Herpstat 2 and both probes to measure both temperature and humidity at the same time. In humidity mode it can be set to open and close a compatible valve attached to a water reservoir that will allow water in.

If you have sufficient ambient humidity and only intend to use it as an incubator, there is no reason to set up a humidity system (water reservoir, valve and water tray).

What I have done is to get a quality Indoor/Outdoor Weather system and place the Outdoor temperature/humidity module inside the incubator. It gives me another temperature reading and the humidity reading. On a quality unit you can adjust the temperature and the humidity to reflect a calibrated value.

Another nice thing about the Herpstat is that you can check the temperature probe against a calibrated source and then input an offset to correct for any deviation.

Too much money Holm. You need a deal like I got!

How many hens can a Tom service? I do not want bad eggs. I am trying to figure out breeding plans. I want JJ to be the man, but Sidekick would be happy if I gave him a girl or two..

I recall that Porter runs 4 or 5 hens per tom and only uses the toms for 3 or 4 years while he uses the hens for 4 or 5 years.

Running multiple toms with a single group of hens usually ends in lower fertility rates and injured hens as the toms take turns knocking each other off the backs of the hens. It also makes it impossible to know which tom is the father.

I like to run 4 to 5 hens with one tom but wouldn't hesitate to add a few more if I had them..

I put casters on the bottom of mine to make it easier to move around.

We were thinking about doing that also. I created a shopping cart at cutlersupply.com with a list of stuff I need. Some egg trays, a couple new latches, new door gasket, and a couple new wafers. Now I gotta wait till payday

We were thinking about doing that also. I created a shopping cart at cutlersupply.com with a list of stuff I need. Some egg trays, a couple new latches, new door gasket, and a couple new wafers. Now I gotta wait till payday

You can also shop at http://www.gqfmfg.com/cabinet-model-parts/ since they are the original manufacturer.

I tried replacing the door gasket with the stuff you can buy at the hardware store or lumberyard but it is not anywhere near as dense as the gasket you can get that is actually made for the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom