A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

my mystery poult is not a bronze, here is a picture of her brother

Three things, Bronze is a color, I have not run the calculator on it but as I recall the siblings need not be the same color with bronze, as with most colors.

Secondly I still think it is a bronze. I checked on Porter's before I said it was a Bronze to make sure of myself. Nothing has changed my mind yet.

Thirdly, Why do you ask these questions here if all you are going to do is disregard any answer we give you and stubbornly hold onto your beliefs which have been wrong more than right? Just saying I am wrong or showing a picture and saying it is not discussion. Telling me concrete reasons you disagree is. Explaining your thought process would help.

Just barreling through life with a chip on your shoulder and telling people they are wrong will not serve you well in the future.

Sorry, if I sound surly this morning, I guess I kind of am.

The father gave the poult a black gene most likely, and gave a brown gene.... It's still young but it could be a auburn, or a silver auburn, but I'm not sure how it got the Narragansett gene( the barred chocolate?) I am raising wild turkey poults Duluthralphie, and they look similar, but I can tell them apart. I'll take more pictures soon and we can guess the genetics!

The grow out pen they were in is right beside the coop.  They have to pass the coop door to get to it.  They sat eggs for a couple weeks in that pen and the babies hatched May 5, so I think I can risk letting them out.  The fence is a long chute out to the pasture, so we can always herd them into it and push them to the coop (ah the best laid plans!).  Besides, we need to work in the coop and I do not want to try working with that mob "helping".

Ok but just so you know I didn't know turkeys could fly like they do so I learned that the hard way so she flew up on the chicken pen roof then up onto the chicken coop then over to the garage roof and slept on the garage one night awhile ago I trying getting her down but all she did was move over farther.

The father is a barred chocolate, and the mother is a chocolate/bourbon red hybrid( Bb Rr e) here's a picture of the barred chocolate tom.

Since you have a barred chocolate he is not pure. Barring would indicate bronze in his lineage. And some unpure chocolates also carry the ng gene which is narragansett.

So it could be the pairing expressed some hidden genes.

Ok but just so you know I didn't know turkeys could fly like they do so I learned that the hard way so she flew up on the chicken pen roof then up onto the chicken coop then over to the garage roof and slept on the garage one night awhile ago I trying getting her down but all she did was move over farther.

I know they can fly very well. They've never been on pasture, just a dirt run. Also, they have babies (that can also fly very well), so I'm hoping the combination will keep them in the fence. There's a lot to eat, do and see. If I need to clip wings, I'll do that.

I haven't clipped wings yet on Knothead. But I''m prepared to if he starts going over fences to visit neighbors. So far he seems to want to stay close to the chickens and my only naughty chickens are my blue Andalusians who have their wings clipped.

At night he has been showing interest in roosting on top the of coop and if he does that He'll get clipped. The coop roof is about 10 feet high, so it will be a pain if he goes up there.

We are in a heat wave right now. High 90's yesterday and then tomorrow it should go to lower 90's. Normal weather for this time of year is low to mid 70's, so it's way HOT. I got a plastic swimming pool and a mister for the poultry. I threw in a bunch of duck weed into the pool to make it more interesting. Knothead has been standing in it a bit and everyone seems to like the mister. It's just one of those cheap pvc ones that I can position on the ground anywhere.

I've been catching up on my reading :). My parents were here for a week, so it has been busy! Now to catch up on the yard work lol. Just spent a hot few hours on the mower so it's starting to look like a yard again. The little chicks moved out of the brooder and into the small coop last week, and have finally got the hang of "going in" at night - yay, no more crawling around to catch them and put them in at night! Coco is still broody, I have no idea what to do with her at this point??? I can't check her body condition since she's still an angry bird :oops:. I use a shovel to lift her out of the nest boxes as she beat the snot out of my broom that I was using. Thankfully Big Bird is still abstaining from broodiness - whew :lol:.

Very much enjoyed all the pictures everyone has been posting :D. I will have to catch up and take some after my weeding session.... Sit down and relax while the birds run when it's a bit cooler out. They seem to hang out in the barn during the heat of the day - the concrete floors are nice and cool apparently, birds sprawled out everywhere soaking it up (I leave the doors open so there's a pretty good breeze through there too). The new coop and runs will be built where there's more shade to help the outside runs stay cooler.

Hey Feisty! Hope you had a nice time with your parents. I had to laugh about you using a shovel on Coco! Is Big Bird still being a sweet bird?

Mimsy....my turkeys LOVE playing in the water!

Big Bird is still being sweet :). A bit of an attention hound, but sweet. Had a great visit with my parents! It always amazes me how much chores can pile up while you are busy visiting - but it does remind me how many little things I must do every normal day lol.

I must get a little pool for the birds and see if they like it - since everyone else's seem to like water so much. Mine demolished a watermelon yesterday and a cabbage today :).

I showed my folks the birds - and they were a bit amazed by Coco. I pulled my hand back in my sleeve and dangled the cuff in her vicinity. She latched on to the cuff and shook it like a dog trying to viciously kill it's favorite stuffed toy (which would be the reason for lifting her out of the nest with a shovel - no part of my body that I want to keep is going in there). My dad was like "and you say she's usually a NICE bird??". I'm pretty sure they think I'm officially the crazy bird lady :gig

Yipes Coco! LOL, no wonder your using a shovel! Sounds like Big Bird has decided your her person. Funny how quickly they can turn into attention hogs!

My family decided I lost it years ago. They DO NOT get the turkey/chicken thing.

Back
Top Bottom