A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Yes hens can fluff and fan like a tom.

I have seen mine do it after a tom mates them and he was rough with them. When ive introduced new birds. When a rooster irritates them. Or when an owl was stuck in the pen.

So stress, irritation, and showing dominence. Are a few times I've seen them puffing up.

Ok folks, Boys or girls???

Black is a tom , then 3 hens

You clipped some of the pictures, so it made it hard, but I think the only Tom is the black one.

Edited to add.
Wow, I am so wrong, when in doubt I say go with R2elk... I see the Mohawk, but the snood is so long. The front of neck looked Tommish to me. Of course, I am the one that forgot lavender is self-blue,,DUH!!

Last edited:
Ok,

I've moved the palm out of the boys pen in with the girls... there was a short pecking order discussion then everyone settled down. I have two girls in with the ducks because they just can't get along with the other girls. One bourbon and one narri... I think they win the prize of mating with the best bourbon. Here's to hoping the black's a hen...
idunno.gif

You clipped some of the pictures, so it made it hard, but I think the only Tom is the black one.

Edited to add.
Wow, I am so wrong, when in doubt I say go with R2elk... I see the Mohawk, but the snood is so long. The front of neck looked Tommish to me. Of course, I am the one that forgot lavender is self-blue,,DUH!!

I have at least one hen that when aroused her snood will get slightly past the end of her beak. Her snood is big enough that when retracted it can form the same type of cone that a tom's snood will retract into. Of course I also have bearded hens.

I have at least one hen that when aroused her snood will get slightly past the end of her beak. Her snood is big enough that when retracted it can form the same type of cone that a tom's snood will retract into. Of course I also have bearded hens.

I never had any bearded Hens until I mentioned to Ethel you had some, then she grew a beard, most of her descendants now have beards.

I swear, it is so hard to get anything done in the turkey pen! I was trying to screw a little hook thing in under the table in there and I had hens pecking at me, pulling things out of my pockets, jumping on my back, and getting right in my way and squatting and then off course, the boys. Adam always starts chasing Romeo around as soon as I come in the coop and Romeo of course has to run under me for protection so of course, they were both in the way too! I finally did get that hook hung but it took at least 4 times longer than it should have :/

In other news, I saw Queenie lounging in a nest earlier and Pebbles checking one out so I just may have 2 more girls about to start laying for me :)

Rjohns - Your pics all looked like hens to me. Pretty girls!

Aurora - I can totally sympathize with trying to "work" in the turkey pens.... there is such a thing as too much "help" :gig. I've started kicking them out and closing the door if I need to get something done quickly lol. Hope you have more turkey eggs soon (mostly because it means that we get more poult pictures soon)!

R2Elk - I love the pic of your hen and tom strutting side by side! I have never seen Big Bird do that except when she was a baby.

My girls throw up their tails when they feel threatened. They've done twice when hawks swooped in to close. They also did it when they caught that weird guy walking down my driveway. Betting I'll never see him again! He about jimped out of his Micheal Jordan's!

I can't do a thing without turkeys lending a helping wing. Aurora you remind me of Ralph trying to work in the SS pen!!

Back
Top Bottom